PDA

View Full Version : Spanish citizenship denied (married to Spanish citizen and meeting all requirements)

Unregistered
07-15-2013, 04:47 PM
I have been married to a Spanish citizen and have been living and working in Spain for almost 6 years now. I applied for the Spanish citizenship about three years ago. A few days ago, I received a letter from the Registro Civil asking me to appear in the swearing section (seccion de juras) at the end of October, which made me think that my citizenship was ready. But when I checked on the Ministerio de Justicia website, there was a message saying that my citizenship had been denied (Denegada la nacionalidad con fecha de resoluciĆ³n ...). We went to the Registro Civil and they would not give us any information regarding the reason of the rejection and simply told us that we should show up on the day of our appointment to be officially notified of the rejection and be given the reasons. After the official notification, I will have one month to appeal. They wouldn't give any general information on the possible reasons of rejections either.

I have never heard of a similar case and my searches on the internet have not been successful either (I have only found that the citizenship can be denied for criminal past and lack of integration in the Spanish society, neither of which could possibly be the case for me).

I was wondering what are the other possible reasons for the rejection of my case and how I could prepare for the appeal. I am worried that the one month that I will have after the date of my appointment may not be enough to prepare the required documents.

I would greatly appreciate any information on the matter.

Patricia
07-17-2013, 04:59 PM
Dear Sir/Madam,

The usual reasons why such a citizenship application may be denied can be based on numerous facts; from criminal records and lack of integration, as you mention, to being for instance a registered debtor in a public entity or official body; The Tax Office for instance.

I am afraid there is no other way to foresee the reasons or get a hint of what has happened as you need to wait for the formal resolution.

Regards,

Unregistered
07-17-2013, 05:13 PM
Thank you for the information. I know that I cannot know the particular reason for which I have been rejected, but I would like to know the possible reasons for rejection in general. For example, I didn't know that having debt could be a contributing factor (which again does not apply in my case). But I want to know other such reasons.

If you could point me to the law article where all the possible reasons for rejection are listed, I would really appreciate it.

Also, I have heard that this year there have been a lot of rejected cases (significantly more than previous years). Is that true? If other people have had a similar experience, it would be great if they can share it. Specially if they have already been through the appeal process.

Thanks again!
p.s. I am female.

Patricia
07-22-2013, 02:55 PM
Hello,

There is ample discretionality allowed when it comes to bring up reasons to deny a nationality application, however these can be contested and appealed if such discretionality has been incorrectly applied. There is not a list of possible reasons redacted in any official article of the Civil Code, I am afraid.

Best Regards,