PDA

View Full Version : Renting for 6 months, documentation needed/preferred

keith
12-04-2012, 01:45 PM
I'm a British national about to rent an apartment in Spain, initially for six months. What documentation do I need to obtain from the Spanish authorities?

From what I've read, it seems that an NIE would help reduce banking costs, but I'm not sure that I'm eligible for one. I have income from a property I own in the UK, which is let. I also intend to to do some IT and photography work from home. I can show that I have sufficient funds to support myself for six months and beyond.

I'd like to know what, if any documentation I need. Also, if there is any documentation that is not required, but would be good to have. It is quite likely that I'll want to stay in Spain well beyond 6 months.

Thanks,
Keith

Marta
12-04-2012, 04:02 PM
Hello Keith,

To sign a rental agreement, it is not necessary to have a NIE number. However if and when the landlord declares the income coming from this rental at the tax office, you will need to have one.
Remember that a NIE number is simply a tax identification number for non-residents in Spain. It is not a residence permit. So really you should be able to obtain one with no problems. Unlike the residence permit, proof of income is not required. Just your passport. You could initially ask fot it and after six months, if you are still looking to remain in Spain, then you should think about arranging your residence permit.

keith
12-07-2012, 09:54 PM
Hello Marta,

Thanks for the reply. I've downloaded the NIE application, and I'm ready to take it in. I understand that it can take between 2 and 4 weeks for it to be processed. I'm wondering whether it would be better to apply for a residency permit straight away. Could you briefly outline the requirements for a residency permit?

Thanks very much for your help.

Keith

Marta
12-11-2012, 05:52 PM
Hello Keith,

This is a very personal decision. Remember though that once you become resident in our country you are liable to pay your worldwide income here.

This is the financial documentation the police authorities are currently requesting in relation to the sources of income to be proved by the EU citizen to apply for a residence card:

• In the event the EU citizen is a salaried worker, the following documentation must be provided:

- Work contract, duly registered at the National Employment Bureau ( INEM ), Registration document ( Alta ) or Current Registration Situation at the Social Security System ( Vida Laboral – Employment History )

• In the event the EU citizen is a Self-Employed individual, this must be provided:

- Registration certificate in Economic Activities ( Form 036 or 037 )

• In the Event the EU citizen does not undertake any economic activity in Spain, the following documentation will be provided:

- Private Medical Insurance Policy with Spanish cover

-Updated Bank certificate that proves having sufficient resources for him/her and his/her family.

• In the event the EU citizen is a student, the following documentation will be provided:

- Educational center Official/Formal Inscription, recognized by the corresponding Public Administration, for the coming school year.
- Private Medical Insurance Policy with Spanish cover
- Good Faith Declaration indicating that the EU citizen has sufficient sources of income for him/her and his/her family.

In addition to this, some police stations request an empadronamiento ( registration at the Town Hall) whereas others don't.

keith
12-13-2012, 12:52 PM
Hi Marta,

Thanks for your help. I hadn't realised that all my income would be liable to tax in Spain once I take out residency. I'll think it through.

keith
12-17-2012, 04:38 PM
Hi Marta,

I'm finding it more difficult than I expected to obtain an NIE. I visited the local police station, and they told me that I need something along the lines of a letter from a bank stating that I need an NIE in order to open an account with them. It was my understanding, from pages such as this (http://www.policia.es/documentacion/comunitarios/nie.html), that all I needed was a completed application form and my passport. I know that there are companies that offer to get an NIE for UK nationals travelling to Spain, and all the require is a copy of a passport and power of attorney.

Could you confirm exactly what is required to obtain an NIE? If you could point me to the official government documentation on the subject, that would be really helpful.

Thanks for your help.
Keith

Editing to add that the main reason I want an NIE is to have ADSL internet installed in my flat. The online form at the Vodafone site has a mandatory NIF/NIE field. I'm trying to get in touch with the Vodafone to explain that I need a signed letter from them stating that I need an NIE in order to contract with them for ADSL. but I don't hold out much hope that they will provide me with one. From what I've read, it seems that I don't need an NIE to open a bank account, so that route looks like a dead end too,

Marta
12-28-2012, 11:00 AM
Dear Keith,

This is correct. All National Police Stations are currently requesting applicants to state the purpose of their NIE number request. Normally physical proof of this is not required unless you are a non EU citizen. However, note that although all police stations follow the same guidelines, you might find the odd one out which requests an extra document.

Please find enclosed the form you will need to fill out: http://nienumber.com/wordpress/new-nie-number-application-form-approved-july-2011/

If you still encounter problems please call us at NIE Number direct and we will see if we are able to help.

keith
12-28-2012, 02:20 PM
Hello Marta,

I did eventually manage to get an NIE after obtaining a signed, stamped letter from Vodafone.

When speaking with the officials at the police station, I had the impression that it is mandatory to apply for a temporary residence certificate if staying for longer than 3 months. Is that the case?

Thanks,
Keith

Marta
12-28-2012, 05:03 PM
Excellent news. I am glad you managed to sort it out! :) Strictly speaking, what you have been told is correct. However you will find that not many people follow this.