PDA

View Full Version : Spanish Passport (nationality)

aslihan27
03-30-2012, 11:58 AM
Hello,

I am a non EU national, I am married to spanish national for 5 years and living in UK since then. We are palnning to move to barcelona soon. I currently have EEA resident card. We got married in UK and my resident card is from UK. When we get to spain when do I get eligible to apply spanish passport, how long does the prosess take for the Spanish passport to be issued to me and by the way when you apply for the passport if I need to send my passport in then how will I travel if i need to go to abroad.

Many thanks in advance

Marta
04-03-2012, 05:11 PM
Hello Aslihan27

You will be able to opt for Spanish citizenship after having legally resided in Spain for one year. To obtain residency, you will need request it Spain and will only be able to request it if your wife becomes resident in this country. For more details please feel free to contact me at marta at lawbird.com

aslihan27
04-03-2012, 11:21 PM
Thanks for the reply. My wife is also residing in Spain as she has business and properties in Spain. After 1 year residence in Spain when I apply for the Spanish passport how long does it take to get.

Best regards

Marta
04-04-2012, 10:35 AM
Hello,

The process to obtain citizenship through a civil registry in Spain, normally takes a couple of years. It depends on how busy the corresponding civil registry is. If it is your intention to become resident in Spain then it is important to do so as soon as possible, as depending on where your wife resides in, the date given for appointments and the processing time can differ enormously. Madrid for example is not issuing these appointments until October! The situation in Malaga is a little better; they are giving them for May. After this you need to take into account a processing time around three months, again depending on the Oficina de Extranjeros.

Unregistered
04-15-2012, 01:25 AM
Hello Marta,

I am having the same question on the passport/ nationality. I've married to a Spaniard for 2 years and been living in Spain since then. Am I qualified to apply for the Spanish passport? or should I apply for the Spanish nationality first?

Thanks a lot a in advance!

Marta
04-16-2012, 01:22 PM
Hello,

You will need to apply for Spanish citizenship ( nacionalidad) at your nearest Registro Civil. Once this has been processed ( it takes around two years), then you will receive a letter from the administration stating that your nationality has been granted. As soon as you have this you will need to go to your nearest National Police station and request your Spanish passport and DNI there. Normally you are granted this on the same day, although it will depend on the Police Station.

Unregistered
04-26-2012, 11:19 PM
Thank you Marta!

After applying or obtaining Spanish citizenship, am I required to give up my own citizenship? Hong Kong, unlike China, does allow their citizens to hold 2 passports and no loss of citizenship unless we apply for change of nationality. So, for Hong Kong, it is not a problem for me to hold 2 different passports. However, my concern is the Spanish side.

Would you please help?

Thanks a lot in advnace!

Marta
04-27-2012, 08:54 AM
Hi,

Spain allows dual nationality with latin american countries (those where Spanish or Portuguese is officially spoken), Andorra, Philippines, Equatorial Guinea or Portugal. Puerto Rico would also be considered for this purpose.

Unregistered
04-27-2012, 09:45 AM
Hi,

So, I would be forced to give up my own nationality? is that correct? Will I have to sign any paper for that?

Thanks,

Ing
02-18-2013, 02:32 PM
I am lebanese, and I am married to a spanish national, since one year.
I would like to know after how much time should I apply for spanish passport, and if i have to give up my own citizenship to get spanish passport ?

Thank you for your assistance

Marta
02-21-2013, 11:42 AM
You will be able to apply for Spanish citizenship after one year of marriage and one year of legal residence in Spain. Yes, you will need to give up your Lebanese citizenship.

anarchos
01-24-2014, 12:37 AM
Is it illegal in Spain to hold dual citizenship if I renounce my citizenship to Canada, but gain it back? In Canada, if I don't gain citizenship of another country after 6 months of filing to renounce citizenship, then the Canadian citizenship is still considered valid. I hear it takes up to two years to obtain a passport, in which case my Canadian citizenship would still be in effect.

Patricia
01-24-2014, 01:02 PM
Hello Anarchos,

The Dual Spanish citizenship is only allowed for nationals of Latin American countries, Portugal, Andorra, Equatorian Guinea and Philippines. Therefore, once you become a Spanish citizen, you will only be considered of Spanish Nationality, and the Canadian one won´t be recognized in Spain, regardless the fact that you can still use your Canadian Passport in Canada.

Regards,

Vic
02-27-2014, 05:06 PM
Hi Marta,

My grandfather is a spanish who came to the Philippines . I can see his name in archives of Philippines-Spanish in website.
How will I apply for a spanish passport? I have pictures and my grand father’s family tree and Seal.

Thank you.

Unregistered
07-28-2014, 10:23 PM
Hi. Im from Brazil and got married in London-Uk with a Spanish citizen. We been living in uk since then (3years now)
How and when can I apply for a Spanish passport? And what if we have plans to keep living in Uk? Can I still apply for it?

Thank you