PDA

View Full Version : Marriage in Spain or outside or Pareja de Hecho

Unregistered
02-04-2012, 08:35 PM
Hello all,
I have read through some of the threads and decided to post a new one because there is no one place that really gives all the answers to my question - am starting to think there are no answers.

this is the situation:
- I am a Canadian citizen and came to Spain for vacation. Here I met a Spaniard, fell in love, and decided to try a relationship with him. I stayed in Spain then we left because I reached my 3 month tourist stay allowance, and returned to Spain again. At this point we have decided to stay together and in fact get married soon. However, we realized that for me to stay here more than 3 months is not possible without more documentation. So these are the following that we tried, and meantime we have been together almost one year.
- I tried getting a work visa but we live in the Costa del Sol area so it's hard enough to find work during the crisis yet alone find an employer that is willing to go through all the paper work, and not to mention the waiting period.
- then we tried "pareja de hecho", to make a long story short after a lot of effort and paper work and going to this office and that office and the city hall, etc. we ended up in one lady's office in Malaga that just decided to make life a living hell for us and NO y No y No. So we hit a dead end with this method because we just could not get passed her.
So meantime, we are more in love and decided to just get married. However, there are 2 problems with getting married here in Spain:
1. it seems to take a long time as has told us our city hall, something like 5 to 6 months and after being here almost 1 year without being able to do anything it is getting a bit frustrating.
2. for the paper work they need my birth certificate and it has to be apostollized: issues with that - I do not have one as I was born in Iran and we left as refugees and it is lost/destroyed and I cannot request one again

So now I am wondering if it is easier and faster to get married in Canada and then come back here to get the residencia. My questions are:
1: Can someone please tell me how long the process of getting married and receiving residencia in the province of Malaga takes and if anyone has an idea how to get around the birth certificate issue
2: Can someone please tell me if getting married outside of Canada and then coming back to Spain for residencia is a faster process than getting married in Spain and if this is the recommended method.
3: Can someone please tell me what the process is exactly for getting married outside of Spain and then coming back to Spain for residencia and how long it generally takes.

Thank you in advance.

Patricia
03-05-2012, 04:24 PM
Hello,

Please accept my apologies for this late reply.

I am very sorry that you have been facing so many problems to register as Common Law partners or get married.

Providing you have the required documentation it should not take more than 6 months to gather the required documents and get a date for the marriage celebration at the town hall. Regarding the birth certificate, I believe you will have to contact the Iranian consulate or embassy in Canada and see what type of document they can provide to prove your birth. If it is a document impossible to be issued, as you mention it, the corresponding authorities in Iran will have to provide with a certificate that indicates there are no records of your birth, so the Canadian authorities may have to get involved, as they have registered you as a Canadian National after recognizing you as a refugee.

Normally, it will be faster to get married in Spain, as a Spanish marriage certificate will make things easier when applying for residency. The issue here is that you do not have a birth certificate, and that is the document that seems to be delaying the process. I recommend you to hire the services of a solicitor with expert knowledge in Immigration Law, so you can get the professional assistance that your case needs and avoid additional headaches.

I cannot tell you how the process is and how long it takes to get married out of Spain; that will depend on each country.

We can assist in your particular case, so please feel free to email me on Patricia at Lawbird.com if you wish to have further information about the procedure.

Best Regards,

Unregistered
04-24-2012, 10:33 PM
So I am also Canadian, living in Spain.
same story had to leave every 3 months , stay out 3 months.. SO we decided to get married. My husband is Belgian.

So after trying all methods.. we were told in Motril. Just get married and so we did, but in Canada. It was fast and easy.
As getting married in Spain would require birth certificate and I also don't have one. Refugee story just like yours.
So now..
we came back to spain and were told that we had to get the marriage certificate authenticated.
ON the net there is a looooong process to get it authenticated but on contacting the consulate of spain in toronto there was shorter cut.
The marriage certificate, authenticated in toronto is on its way back in the mail to spain.
ANd my tourist visa expired on april 16.

when the certificate comes back to spain , I have to go back to Motril and reister the marriage and then, it was a matter of some more paper work. Which I will post as the events happen.

Hope this eases your mind a bit.

natasha
natashaom7@gmail.com

Unregistered
05-27-2012, 07:06 PM
Hi am we might be a bit in the same boat if we move to Spain I would like to know why the lady in Malaga gave you such a hard time...was it because you had no birth certificate or was there another reason given?
Regards Jake

Hello all,
I have read through some of the threads and decided to post a new one because there is no one place that really gives all the answers to my question - am starting to think there are no answers.

this is the situation:
- I am a Canadian citizen and came to Spain for vacation. Here I met a Spaniard, fell in love, and decided to try a relationship with him. I stayed in Spain then we left because I reached my 3 month tourist stay allowance, and returned to Spain again. At this point we have decided to stay together and in fact get married soon. However, we realized that for me to stay here more than 3 months is not possible without more documentation. So these are the following that we tried, and meantime we have been together almost one year.
- I tried getting a work visa but we live in the Costa del Sol area so it's hard enough to find work during the crisis yet alone find an employer that is willing to go through all the paper work, and not to mention the waiting period.
- then we tried "pareja de hecho", to make a long story short after a lot of effort and paper work and going to this office and that office and the city hall, etc. we ended up in one lady's office in Malaga that just decided to make life a living hell for us and NO y No y No. So we hit a dead end with this method because we just could not get passed her.
So meantime, we are more in love and decided to just get married. However, there are 2 problems with getting married here in Spain:
1. it seems to take a long time as has told us our city hall, something like 5 to 6 months and after being here almost 1 year without being able to do anything it is getting a bit frustrating.
2. for the paper work they need my birth certificate and it has to be apostollized: issues with that - I do not have one as I was born in Iran and we left as refugees and it is lost/destroyed and I cannot request one again

So now I am wondering if it is easier and faster to get married in Canada and then come back here to get the residencia. My questions are:
1: Can someone please tell me how long the process of getting married and receiving residencia in the province of Malaga takes and if anyone has an idea how to get around the birth certificate issue
2: Can someone please tell me if getting married outside of Canada and then coming back to Spain for residencia is a faster process than getting married in Spain and if this is the recommended method.
3: Can someone please tell me what the process is exactly for getting married outside of Spain and then coming back to Spain for residencia and how long it generally takes.

Thank you in advance.