PDA

View Full Version : is it legal to obtain electricity from neighbours in spain? Or for them to SELL it?

fintoparadiso
12-06-2011, 10:48 PM
When we bought our property (finca), the electricty was supplied through the neighbours (original owners) and we have paid them bi-monthly. Is this legal?
After some arguments over other unrelated items, they have choosen to pretend we have not paid them the electricty bills (we have proof of payments) but can they do anything about this? Our plan is to continue to pay the bills they send, keep the transfer receipts for proof of payment, so they don't cut it off while we wait for our own. Our property is for sale, due to our lack of knowledge at time of purchase we didn't even worry, but now we are selling (to get away from these horrible neighbours) we are worried that should a sale come through before we get our electricty that it is not legal.

If the electricity runs through our land, is it possible for them to cut it off? Thanks.

aflores
12-07-2011, 06:05 PM
Hello fintoparaiso,

Your neighbour, if they have consented for some time to give you access to electricy, should not be cutting you off due to a dispute, so long as you pay them. Cutting you off could even be seen as a criminal action (misdemeanour), as they have no reason to do so (so long as you pay them).

I suggest you spoke to them to avoid further problems.

fintoparadiso
12-10-2011, 12:19 AM
Hello Antonio, Thank you for your reply. Just to clarify, selling/providing electricty to your neighbours is legal? I don't want any surprises from endesa when they turn up to do our line. The neighbours owned this property and we bought it from them with this agreement. But it is not in the escritura. Therefore, if we sell the property, can they cut the electricty then? It seems normal that they could/would.
Life would be easy if we could just talk to them. Unfortunately things turned sour when we found they had been dishonest about the boundries of our land, we tried to talk civilly then, but due to a road they wanted to keep open and we needed to fence (you answered my servidumbre question) they became cunning. So they make us pay anyway they can! Thank you again.