PDA

View Full Version : Data protection laws

MrRichardJP
04-01-2009, 05:17 PM
I signed up to an adult forum site last year. Recently I tried asking administrators to remove my account as there were ways to find out who I was from the details on there. I had no response initially and so got a bit desperate and threatened them with legal action if they didn’t take it down. This didn’t work, so I tried breaking the forums rules by using bad language.

I finally got a response, but not the one I had hoped for. One of the administrators banned my account (not deleting it) and then proceeded to mock me and look up my details on a social networking site and add my personal details (Email address, link to my social networking site, full name, and bio) without my consent to the account (which I no longer was able to access). This has caused me considerable distress as you can imagine.

I have performed a ‘whois’ search on the website which revealed that the server is located in Barcelona, Spain

I believe that this means that my data is covered by the European directive 95/46/EC on the protection of personal data and other related European data privacy laws.

Please let me know if there is anything I can do to get them to remove this account from their servers.

Thanks.
Richard.