PDA

View Full Version : English LLB Law Degree, how do I practice in Spain?

JadeSwaby
09-21-2011, 02:57 PM
I am currently studying an LLB Law Degree in England, part-time, but plan on practising in Spain.

I plan to move to Spain in the Summer of 2012, at which point I will have two years left before I complete my degree. I will continue with my degree whilst in Spain through distant learning. With the hope that by the time I graduate I will be fluent in Spanish, having lived in Spain for two years.

I understand that my degree will be a common law degree and I will therefore be unqualified to practice in the Spanish legal system.

What do I need to do before or after graduating in order to qualify as a Spanish Lawyer / be able to have a dual qualification? Is there an equivalent to the UK's bar training course or legal practice certificate that would train me as far as being able to practice civil law, even though I have a common law degree?

Any assistance would be really appreciated!

Kind Regards
Jade

aflores
09-21-2011, 08:04 PM
Hi Jade, if you qualify in the UK you will be entitled to practice only there. If you then choose to practice in Spain, you will need to undergo a test similar to the UK equivalent Qualified Lawyers Transfer Regulations (QLTR). This test, if you wish to pass without too much hassle, will require that you have some basic knowledge of the language but if as you say, you are to spend 2 years in Spain, I cannot see why that should represent a problem. If you to contact me direct you can do so by writing to me: afloresatlawbirddotcom

JadeSwaby
09-21-2011, 08:10 PM
Hi Antonio,

Thank you for your reply.

When I complete my degree I will not be qualified in the UK even. I would have to do the BPTC if I wanted to qualify to practice as a barrister, or a LPC if I wanted to practice as a solicitor. Taking the fact that I will not be qualified to practice in the UK into account, what would I have to do under those circumstances?

Regards
Jade