PDA

View Full Version : Domestic dispute

JaneyEd
07-11-2011, 04:39 PM
My partner has recently ended our relationship, without warning or explanation, and he left the house, however keeping hold of his keys to the property, and, as he did not pay any rent for the coming month, I decided not to let him back into the house without arrangement with me or without me being there. Also, as I had, in good faith, lent him around 2000 euros (all by bank transfers from my account to his, so I have the records of the loans) over the last six months. As he had a number of personal items, including furniture, kitchen equipment and books still in the property, (the value of which only covers about one third of what he owes) I told him I would hold onto these items until he paid me back the money he borrowed.
Can anyone tell me if I am within my rights to do so, or not, or how I should proceed to recover my money?
Many thanks

Patricia
07-13-2011, 11:40 AM
Hello JaneyEd,

Legally speaking, retaining his belongings in order to force him to return your money is not the correct road to follow, though in practice it may be the more efficient way to make him reason and compensate. If he still fails to do so, we do not advise you to continue holding on to his items for the purpose, so you may look into the possibility to contact a solicitor and take legal actions to recover the amount that you lent him.

Regards,