PDA

View Full Version : Rip-offs and the law.

erisaman
05-09-2011, 09:49 AM
Sadly, it’s often said that, if a Brit is going to be ‘ripped-off’ in Spain, it’ll be a fellow Brit who’ll do the deed ............ not the average Spaniard. I fell victim to such a rip-off when I went to buy and install glass curtains.

I had done some preliminary research, found what I thought was a reputable manufacturer – a Spanish registered company but British owned – visited the factory showrooms in Fuengirola, viewed the display examples, asked questions and was satisfied that the claims being made for their ‘innovative’ door system, offered me exactly what I was looking for. I had already met an approved installer (another ex-pat) – and was assured by the manufacturer that this installer was indeed one of their regular contractors and was one of their most experienced installers.

The system was ordered in September and installed in October 2010.

One word sums it all up – disastrous! To open the system called for the strength of Samson, the patience of Job and industrial toe-cap boots to protect our feet from the acutely angled profiles as they scythed their way around corners. The innovative doors did not work, the system did not open or slide and then it was discovered that the profiles had been cut incorrectly and two panes had to go back to the factory. The installer defended his role in the debacle by telling fellow drinkers in a local bar that the system was still at the design stage and was not fully developed. He also told me that the factory personnel had not been honest with me.

In January 2011 he returned to the apartment (yet again) at my insistence, and arrived full of enthusiasm that “we’ll change this and replace that and have two new panes made ... “ at which point I told him, “No, you can take the whole system away – it’s rubbish”.

His face fell, as did his shoulders, and he admitted “I feel I should be giving you your money back”. An honest offer, but a snowball in hell stood a better chance of seeing it through.

To deal with gaining a refund, I contacted a leading Spanish Legal Team, based in Marbella, and one of the Practising Lawyers responded with the request that I send full details – which I did. I had no response, so, after some two weeks or more, I contacted him again – and again – and again, each time being met with the silence of a blank wall.
Time has passed and I am now out of the statutory time limit for making a claim – so, for the first time, I am wondering for what reason the legal eagle ignores my mails.

My question therefore is – has anyone had experience of a Spanish Law firm operating in this way?

erisaman
05-11-2011, 03:42 PM
Hi, post is nice but sometimes such a lengthy post become
tedious for the reader. So, please be tolerated with the readers
interests.
regards

There are some things which cannot be condensed into a few words without leaving out crucial information. There is an agenda here - am hoping for a response from the Legal team.

Patricia
06-17-2011, 02:29 PM
Dear Erisaman,

Welcome to the forum, and please accept my apologies for the delay in responding.

I am very sorry to hear that you have had such problems and are now needing to have a refund of the services requested from this British manufacturer. Also, I understand how dissapointing is to search for legal aid and get no response from the legal advisor.

If you are still interested in seeking legal advice for your case, I suggest you contact our law firm through our website contact form so we can study the case and offer a quotation for our legal services.

Best Regards,