PDA

View Full Version : Fathers will and estate etc

Unregistered
04-21-2011, 01:24 PM
My father and his new wife moved to Spain around 4 years ago and bought a property. Upon departure from the UK they drafted home made wills which I signed as my fathers daughter and one of his wife's sons signed on her side. They never made a Spanish will. My father passed away a year ago and unfortunately his wife no longer speaks to us. I never received anything from his estate and at the funeral his wife told us that my father had placed money in an account in Spain for my wedding, she told us that she could not get access to this money and that it had to be done by his son (my brother) needless to say we have heard nothing about or seen this money etc. I was wondering what the position on all of this was regarding any inheritance due to myself and whether she was legally able to withdraw the money in that account that was in his name? Regretfully I wish to sort my fathers ashes soon and want to know my inheritance position, if any, before contacting her. Thank you.

Patricia
06-29-2011, 05:27 PM
Dear Sir/Madam,

If there was a will signed in UK, this will prevail and needs to be applied. Your late fatherĀ“s new wife cannot access his bank accounts if they are part of your inheritance ( unless they both had a joint bank account and she has the access codes ). We understand that the estate has not yet been transferred, so you should start with the procedures from UK as appointed heirs at the earliest. That is a service we can provide at Lawbird, so please contact us via e-mail through our website contact form and we will advice further on the procedure.

Regards,