PDA

View Full Version : US / Spanish dual citizenship question

Spartan
04-11-2011, 04:30 AM
I'm an American, my wife is Bulgarian. We plan to move to Spain in the next few months, and after 10 years of working under a work visa, I would apply for dual citizenship for myself. Can I get Spanish citizenship without losing my American citizenship?

Doing the Spanish Oath in front of the judge involves renouncing your current nationality...would that be the part that makes me lose my US Citizenship...? :(

Marta
04-12-2011, 03:50 PM
Hi Spartan,

This seems to be a very popular question in this forum! Legally Spain does not allow dual citizenship with the US, although there are people who manage to hold both nationalities.

San Diego
06-17-2012, 03:51 AM
I'm hoping this can be expanded on. So both countries do not 'legally' allow dual citizenship, but it is possible?? I went to the US State Department website: http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1753.html and here are some quotes:

U.S. law does not mention dual nationality or require a person to choose one citizenship or another. Also, a person who is automatically granted another citizenship does not risk losing U.S. citizenship. However, a person who acquires a foreign citizenship by applying for it may lose U.S. citizenship. In order to lose U.S. citizenship, the law requires that the person must apply for the foreign citizenship voluntarily, by free choice, and with the intention to give up U.S. citizenship.

That seems a little contradictory. Can anyone speak to how the USA determines "intention"? Also, does Spain's law look similar or is it more or less strict?