View Full Version : Russian Marriage Certificate with EU spouse for recedency!Help!

04-05-2011, 04:30 PM
Iím Russian citizen married to British citizen for over 5 years. We lived in UK and Ireland and I have residency in both countries. Just moved to Spain and getting residency here. They have requested new marriage certificate ( no longer than 3 month old). Russia issues marriage certificate only single time for rest of your life like birth certificate unless you lose it or get divorced. Did anybody come across to this problem? To get new marriage certificate I need to go either to Russia and say I have lost it or I need to give power of Attorney to somebody in Russia and they will do the same , for that I need to go to Madrid and spend a lot of money to organise it all. Is there any ways to avoid getting new one. Russian Embassy can provide me with a document confirming that marriage certificate is legal and that itís only given once in your life. But would authorities here accept it? Please let me know if you know anything about non EU marriage certificates. I have Appostil stamp and translated my current certificate but but itís 5 years old at this stage. Which didnít metter in UK or Ireland.

Thank you

04-08-2011, 11:15 AM
Hello Amina,

Welcome to the belegal forum.

I understand that there are various countries that do not issue marriage certificates indicating the current marital status of a person, thus issuing one sole marriage certificate that is valid permanently unless there is a divorce.

The Spanish authorities are aware of this fact and accept other type of certifications that solve the problem. My advice is that you contact an expert solicitor that can give you proper advice on the required documentation to be provided and guide you in the right directions as to how to obtain it. The solicitor will be able to revise the validity of the certificates provided as well as check that the residence application file complies with the immigration office requirements.