View Full Version : As an illegal alien, can your office help me in processing my papers to get married?

03-30-2011, 12:57 AM
can your office help me in processing my papers to get married here if i dont have residence permit? im illegal alien, boyfriend from the UK but not a resident here

04-01-2011, 07:11 PM

Getting married in Spain whilst being illegally here is a little more complicated but still possible. However at least one of you will need to be 'empadronado' in Spain.

04-01-2011, 11:22 PM
i am illegally staying here but i have empadronamento in the town hall just this january, i am in spain for more than one year now... the boyfriend is from the UK but dont live here... do you think we can married here, how long will it takes for marriage to take place and after that can i live here legally or i need to go back to my country first to apply for residence permit

04-02-2011, 10:03 AM

It is difficult for us to advise you on this matter as every civil registry has its own internal norms even if they all follow a general procedure. I am concerned though that your ‘empadronamiento’ might not be old enough.

I would recommend that your boyfriend comes to Spain and becomes resident here as this will facilitate the process.

If not, you can ask a friend who speaks Spanish to go to your nearest civil registry in order to ask them about the requirements for someone on your situation.

Once you are married, you will be able to request your residence permit at your nearest ‘Oficina de Extranjeros’

07-29-2011, 10:02 PM
what does an EU bf needs to do in order to reside here? what if he only stay here for a few months before the marriage? what document does he need to provide to the town hall? does he needs a property and job here as well or as long as he is an EU national it doesnt matter?

08-09-2011, 01:08 PM

As your fiancé is an EU citizen, he does not require to have a certain legal status in Spain . However, he/she will have to register at the Town Hall by means of a certificado de empadronamiento/Volante de Convivencia, that is one the required documents for the marriage.

My advice is that you approach the Town Hall and Registro Civil to get a list of the requested documents, that may vary among the different Provinces in Spain.