PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Fuerteventura HELP Please

happyjax
01-29-2011, 04:10 PM
Dear Belegal members,
I am hoping to move to Fuerteventura within the next three months.
The reason for my contacting you is that I would like to know how I would go about becoming self employed and what implications “financially wise” this would have. I wish to pay into the Spanish tax system and do everything legally.
I am a female (40ish) married, my husband is due to retire in 4 years and I would like to carry on working and living in Fuerteventura for the rest of our lives.

I should also like to ask about our wills, this is our 2nd marriage and we both have children. We have heard that in the Spanish system that everything must go to my husbands children even though I have paid towards the property we own. Any help would be great.
Big thank you.
:cool:

Patricia
02-01-2011, 07:30 PM
Hello Happyjax,

In order to become a self-employed worker you need to be a resident in Fuerteventura, register at the Social Security system and do your "alta" in a specific economic activity. As per the question about it being financially wise it will depend on the income generated by the activity and the expenses you have. Once you have started the activity you will need to file your quarterly and annual VAT at the tax office, as well as pay you self-employed bills ( " cuotas de autónomo " ) every month.

As per your question related to the will, according to Spanish law, and applied to Spanish properties, if the property is in both your names, it will be inherited by all your children in equal parts.

Regards,