PDA

View Full Version : American-born of Cuban parents

Jorge Socarras
12-11-2010, 04:56 PM
I have been researching the possibilities for Spanish residency and citizenship, and am still not entirely clear on whether there is any advantage to my being American-born of Cuban parents both of Spanish ancestry. Could you clarify this for me? Thank you in advance for you time and help!

Sincerely,
Jorge

Patricia
01-19-2011, 05:54 PM
Dear Mr. Socarras,

Welcome to the belegal forum.

In order to determine your options to apply for Spanish citizenship on the basis of Spanish ancestry it would be esential to know who was the last family member in your family holding Spanish citizenship.

Regards,

horofhay
05-17-2011, 11:29 PM
Dear Mr. Socarras,

Welcome to the belegal forum.

In order to determine your options to apply for Spanish citizenship on the basis of Spanish ancestry it would be esential to know who was the last family member in your family holding Spanish citizenship.

Regards,

It would've been one of my great-granparents, but I have no access to paperwork or proof of any kind, as that would've all been in Cuba. But my family names are definitely Hispanic on both sides if that counts for anything.

Marta
06-30-2011, 07:42 PM
Hi Jorge,

In that case you would not be entitled to Spanish citizenship in virtue of blood-line, only in virtue of residence. For american citizens this period is of 10 years whereas for Cubans this is a two year period. You would have been entitled to citizenship via blood-line if your grandfather had acquired Spanish citizenship.

With regards to residency, there is no real advantage being a citizen of one country or another.