PDA

View Full Version : Spanish Citizenship

Smiles
02-04-2009, 12:44 AM
Hi all,
I have a Spanish father and am considering applying for a Spanish passport. I'm 28 and have lived and worked in the UK all my life but there are certain things pulling me towards Spain. Therefore I have just a few questions:

Can I apply for a Spanish passport whilst still living and working in the UK?

Do I have to spend any length of time in Spain before my being granted Spanish Citizenship?

Regards
Smiles

Marta
02-10-2009, 02:08 PM
Hi Smiles,

Yes, in your case ( your father being Spanish) you will be able to apply for Spanish citizenship whilst living in the UK. In your case you don’t need to become resident in Spain to order to request it.

Unregistered
11-10-2009, 07:31 AM
Hello!

I find it interesting, and how about a Tunisian living in the Uk married to a Spanish Citizen since three years please?

Do i need to be a resident for a year also?

Marta
11-10-2009, 11:08 AM
Yes, in order to opt for Spanish citizenship you will first need to reside legally in Spain for one year.

Unregistered
11-10-2009, 09:11 PM
hi
im from pakistan im living in uk and working in uk.i need spainsh citizenship.plz tell me .how can i apply? how can i regesterd my self in spain ?and can i apply online? i dont have pakistani passport.can i apply from uk?

Marta
11-11-2009, 10:48 AM
Hi,

Unless you have any Spanish parents you will need to reside legally in Spain before you can request it.

Unregistered
03-21-2010, 08:14 PM
Hi, I'm Moroccan citizen married to a spanish sweetheart in UK.

When will I be entitled to apply for Spanish Citizenship?

Cheers

Marta
03-22-2010, 12:44 PM
You will be entitled to Spanish citizenship, after having resided legally in Spain for one year. The other requirement is that you have been married to a Spanish citizen for at least one year.

Unregistered
06-28-2010, 06:43 AM
Married to a Spanish citizen. How long to actually live in Spain to qualify for 1 year residence. Required to renounce current citizenship and turn in current passport?

Unregistered
07-27-2010, 09:06 PM
Hello, I'm brazilian and my mother lives in England, she has Spanish citizenship almost ready but can't leave England to sign such documents, because she has a job, then I wonder if she can finish the Spanish citizenship in England because she only need to sign a spanish birth certificate and then take her passport.

I hope an answer, thank you!

Iara

Patricia
07-31-2010, 01:24 PM
Dear Ms. Pontes,

I would need to know what is the documentation that she has processed to date, in order to find out what is the exact pending documentation and if there was or not the need for her to travel to Spain. In any case, the Spanish embassy in UK should be able to guide her in the right direction.

Please let me know if you need further information.

Best Regards,

ali
08-04-2010, 05:34 PM
Hello.

I am Egyption and I am married to a Spanish for two years now but we live
in the UK. what do I need to apply for Spanish citizenship ??
Do I need to live in Spain for a period of time to obtain that ??

thanks alot.

Ali.

Unregistered
09-03-2010, 06:18 PM
Hello Good People,

I am a none EU national married to a Spanish citizen since 10yrs, we got married in Spain and Lived there for 5yrs before relocating to UK and we then both receivec our 5yrs resident card to enable us live and work here. Can I now apply for my Spanish passport here in UK?

Thanks for your response

Marta
09-07-2010, 05:22 PM
Hi,

The Spanish law states that you will need to have resided in Spain for at least a year previous and immediate to your citizenship request.
The other prerequisite, which is having been married for a least a year, you comply with.

Marta
09-07-2010, 05:43 PM
Hi Ali,

Sorry, I missed your question!

Again I need to give you the same response as was given to the last member: to opt for Spanish citizenship you will need to have resided in Spain for at least a year previous and immediate to your citizenship request.

Unregistered
11-01-2010, 01:14 PM
Hola,
I'm research assisstant at Gazi University Faculty of Law (Turkey). and we've a Spanish erasmus student this somestre. He attends nationality law and aliens' law lectures, but of course it is not useful for him to learn Turkish citizenship law. So our lecturer wanted him to find Spanish citizenship/nationality codes/laws and also Spanis aliens' law in English. But he didn't find them at all. Could you help me to find these documents (in English of course)???

Thank you

fabio
11-02-2010, 02:55 PM
hi i have a doughter born in spain and her mother is from spain my nacionality is ecuadorian livin in uk my question is ...can i apply for spanish citicien becouse of my doughter ? ...

Marta
11-02-2010, 03:26 PM
Hi Fabio,

No, you won't be able to do this.

You can apply for citizenship via marriage (if your wife is a Spaniard of origin) and after you having resided in Spain legally for a year. Or you can also apply via residence, after having resided in Spain legally for two years.

Marta
11-02-2010, 03:43 PM
Hola,
I'm research assisstant at Gazi University Faculty of Law (Turkey). and we've a Spanish erasmus student this somestre. He attends nationality law and aliens' law lectures, but of course it is not useful for him to learn Turkish citizenship law. So our lecturer wanted him to find Spanish citizenship/nationality codes/laws and also Spanis aliens' law in English. But he didn't find them at all. Could you help me to find these documents (in English of course)???

Thank you

Hi,

I would refer you to the civil code (for nationality matters) and to the Ley Organica 4/2000 sobre derechos y libertades de los extranjeros, for immigration matters. Obviously these are in Spanish so perhaps you will need the Erasmus student to translate the main points. See the following links:
http://noticias.juridicas.com/base_datos/Privado/cc.html (Staring from article 17)
http://noticias.juridicas.com/base_datos/Admin/lo4-2000.html

Shocker
11-02-2010, 06:42 PM
Hello, i am a Turkish citizen studying medicine in France. I have loved Spain for some reason i don't know, since my childhood. Apart from marriage, what are the ways of becoming a Spanish citizen?

I guess - of course i need to - i will move to Spain after i graduate as a doctor. Diploma of my university is legal in Spain. I do know Spanish language and Spanish history from prehistoric ages until recent events.

However i have no relatives that has anything to do with Spain. Only that i have been to there a couple of times.

What are my chances and how long would it take, what do i need to do?
Is it possible to have dual citizenship also?

- I will be 27 when i graduate, and most probably, not married.
- Have no criminal records or anything to do with crime-related stuff.
- My parents are respected people who don't have anything to do with crime neither.
- I don't use drugs or anything.
- Am very enthusiastic about living / working or serving Spain in any way.

luis
11-03-2010, 02:43 AM
Hola

im living in london my father is spanish and im from peru , never saw him before untill now ..
can i apply for the spanish nacionality here in uk ,as my father cant flight anywhere becouse he is very sick and also im ilegal here ???
thanks for your help..

Marta
11-03-2010, 02:18 PM
Hi Luis,

This question is better answered by your nearest Spanish Consulate. If it is located in London, you will need to visit them in person. They are opened from 9.15 am to 2pm and you will need to go to the registro civil department.

Shocker"
11-03-2010, 07:40 PM
I know it sounds weird but i was being serious..

Jebby
03-21-2011, 12:55 AM
Hi,

I'm a Mexican citizen studying in Spain with a study permit since November 2009. My father and grandmother are Spanish citizens (both born out of Spain) and my great-grandfather was born in Spain. I have all their birth certificates and citizenship documents.

How can I apply for citizenship myself?

Marta
07-13-2011, 04:41 PM
Hi Jebby,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.
First of all you need to find out whether your father is a Spaniard of origin. If this is the case you will be able to request citizenship via bloodline instead of residency. If he is not a Spaniard of origin then you will be able to request citizenship via residence.

Unregistered
08-08-2012, 05:17 AM
Hi,

I am living in UK on Pakistani Passport and I am going to marry next month with the Spanish lady. I need some information about how to aquire a Spanish Citizenship after marrying her?

shajar
08-18-2012, 08:08 PM
Dear Marta Flores
How do I become Spanish citizen by virtue of the marriage and landing ?

Dear Sir,
I am an Iranian citizen Dr , have Hungarian long term resident
( EU ) permit , i am planning to marry with Spanish girl, and I want to go to live in Spain too.
Meantime i will going to buy a 2 room flat under my name in Spain also,

Could you tell me please, what will be the procedure for me to obtain spanish citizenship. How long will it take? and if i have land under my name is it effect and make it faster in a time ?
shall i going to have advantage of that or not?

As i mention i have Eu Hungarian resident Permit ,did i get imminently long term resident permit or what kind of residency should obtain to make it easier
Thanks a lot
Best regards
Dr F.S

aflores
08-20-2012, 12:37 PM
Dear Marta Flores
How do I become Spanish citizen by virtue of the marriage and landing ?

Dear Sir,
I am an Iranian citizen Dr , have Hungarian long term resident
( EU ) permit , i am planning to marry with Spanish girl, and I want to go to live in Spain too.
Meantime i will going to buy a 2 room flat under my name in Spain also,

Could you tell me please, what will be the procedure for me to obtain spanish citizenship. How long will it take? and if i have land under my name is it effect and make it faster in a time ?
shall i going to have advantage of that or not?

As i mention i have Eu Hungarian resident Permit ,did i get imminently long term resident permit or what kind of residency should obtain to make it easier
Thanks a lot
Best regards
Dr F.S

Dear Dr. F.S.,

You may apply for Spanish citizenship, for which you first need to become Spanish resident by virtue of marriage. Once a year has passed since you obtained residency, you may be eligible for Spanish nationality.

Having property will prove that you have means but it is not necessary. You will however be expected to have some sort of financial stability.

Regarding time, 2 years is acceptable.

shajar
08-21-2012, 04:51 PM
hi thanks for fast replay
for financial stability shall i have to work any pay taxes ?or if i deposit money in bank and show it to government it will be enough?
so if i have own flat and good amount of deposit Eu in bank is it going to be sufficient or 100% i have to have a job in hospital and work?
and if my wife has a work is it going to be enough or it count separately?
my next question is that shall i wait to complete one year residency and one year after timing of marriage to apply? or it is going independent if i am marriage?
for example i have new residency and pass for 3 month and after 3 month of that i will have marriage so my one will calculate from date of marriage registration or time of residency
thanks in advance
best regards
dr F.s

Patricia
08-28-2012, 10:58 AM
Hello Shajar,

Financial stability can be proven by various means depending on your work circumstances. A work contract in Spain would be acceptable if it indicated a full time job with an average salary and if your future wife also works ( in Spain ), showing proof of her solvency would support your application. In the event you did not have a job for the time being, bank estatements showing a minimum of 5.000 € balance woud be required, tough this amount varies among provnces as not all immigration offices follow the same criteria.

With regards to your questions about timescale, you first need to apply for your residence card based on your famly relationship with the Spanish citizen ( right after the relationship has been formalized ), and only after one year of having obtained the residence card, will you be entitled to apply for citizenship. You mention you have new residency, though I understand you mean a residence permit in Hungary, that does not affect the Spanish residence permit that you need.

You can find the exact information on Hoja 103 (http://extranjeros.empleo.gob.es/es/InformacionInteres/InformacionProcedimientos/documentos2/103.pdf)of the Immigration Office section, Ministry of Home Affairs´ website.

You can contact me by emaial after clicking on my profile if you prefer to discuss your case in detail.

Regards,

TonyB
10-11-2012, 04:54 PM
My wife is Polish, and holds a Polish passport. She is entitled to take Spanish nationality this month because she has now spent 10 years as a legal resident in Spain.

I am a UK subject, hold a British passport, and I have been legally resident in Spain since December 2007.

My wife and I got married here in Spain in May 2011.

If my wife takes Spanish nationality, what effect would that have, if any, on my applying for Spanish nationality? Would I still have to be legally resident in Spain for 10 years?

Unregistered
10-24-2012, 07:33 AM
My Mother was born and raised in Spain. My Father and her got married in Spain and we still have the Libro de Familia. My older brother was born in Spain and is in the Libro. I was born 3 years later outside of Spain. Am I correct the assumption that I have spanish citizenship without any residency requirement? Is it a simple process of taking my mom's birth certificate, the Libro, and my birth certificate to a juzgado and getting into the Libro? After which I can get a spanish passport?
Thanks

Patricia
10-25-2012, 11:23 AM
Hello,

Yes, you are right. You are a Spanish national by origin and there is no need for you to reside in Spain before applying for your Spanish passport. You can check this in the Civil Code, article 17.a (http://noticias.juridicas.com/base_datos/Privado/cc.l1t1.html).

You need to approach the closest Spanish embassy taking with you the Libro de Familia and your mother´s passport -They may require her personal appearance. Once the embassy helps you register, you can file the application of your Spanish nationality by origin.

You will find more information about Spanish nationality requirements here (http://www.mjusticia.gob.es/cs/Satellite/es/1215198282620/EstructuraOrganica.html).

You can contact me directly by e-mail ( click on my profile ) if you have more specific questions.

Regards,

Unregistered
02-28-2013, 03:24 PM
Hello,

I was born in the UK (English father, Spanish mother) and lived there until I was 13. When I came to Spain to live I got the Spanish nationality. Now I am 24 and want to request the British passport for the first time. Can I have both Spanish and British passports without the need of renouncing to one?

Thanks!

Marta
03-01-2013, 05:37 PM
Unfortunately Spanish law does not allow dual citizenship with the UK.

Unregistered
05-26-2014, 09:47 PM
Hi Every One how im apply Spanish visa i have no money im really poor man plz help me :(

Unregistered
06-04-2014, 03:53 AM
If someone changed nationality from italian to spanish. Can they also keep there venazulan passport as well as the spanish passport. Does spain have dual nationality with venazula?
many thanks

Patricia
06-06-2014, 03:21 PM
Hello,

Spain allows dual Nationality to passport holders from Latin American countries, and therefore Dual Nationality Venezuela-Spain is allowed.

Regards,

Unregistered
06-19-2014, 02:21 AM
Hello,

Spain allows dual Nationality to passport holders from Latin American countries, and therefore Dual Nationality Venezuela-Spain is allowed.

Regards,

Hello. Does Spain allow dual Nationality to passport holders from the USA? I was born in Spain (as was my mother, and her parents) and lived there until I was 11. Since then, I have returned numerous times as an adult, however under a US passport. I'm now presented with a possible opportunity to work in Spain, and would like to know my options.

Thank you for your time.

Unregistered
06-26-2014, 08:43 PM
Hello. Does Spain allow dual Nationality to passport holders from the USA? I was born in Spain (as was my mother, and her parents) and lived there until I was 11. Since then, I have returned numerous times as an adult, however under a US passport. I'm now presented with a possible opportunity to work in Spain, and would like to know my options.

Thank you for your time.

Hola. I'm in a similar situation. Can anyone answer this? Muchas gracias.

Patricia
06-27-2014, 03:20 PM
Hello,

No, Spain does not allow for US passport holders to have dual Spanish Nationality. When in Spain, they are only Spanish citizens.

If you are eventually able to get a work permit in Spain and you were born in Spain, you will be eligible for the Spanish Nationality after only one year holding a resident status. If your mother already holds a Spanish passport, you are considered a Spanish citizen by origins and you are free to apply for your Spanish passport whenever you like.

You can check the information at the Ministry of Justice Website, Nationality Section (http://www.mjusticia.gob.es/cs/Satellite/es/1215198282620/Estructura_P/1215198291413/Detalle.html).

Regards,

Unregistered
08-07-2014, 01:48 PM
hi

if i was born in Spain Valencia 1980 shown in my birth certificate and my father studied and worked in Spain ,but i stayed for two months with my family and then got back with them to Middle east i can apply for citizenship in this case or not ?

regards

Patricia
08-11-2014, 10:53 AM
Hello,

You can apply for the Spanish Nationality after one year of legal residency in Spain. Therefore, the first step for you is to become a Spanish resident. You can check the various residency options on the Spanish Employment and Social Security Ministry´s Website, Immigration section (http://extranjeros.empleo.gob.es/es/InformacionInteres/InformacionProcedimientos/).

Best Regards,

Unregistered
08-12-2014, 01:49 PM
thank you dear Patricia appreciate your help :)