PDA

View Full Version : Car accident

Unregistered
11-08-2010, 03:25 AM
Dear all, I was involved in a car accident with my sister's boyfriend and a friend last sunday morning (31/10/10). The accident happend because he was drunk, and went into a lampost at 80kmph. The police took all of our details, and breatherlized him. He was 5 times over the legal limit (0'80 alcohol in blood levels). I was on the back seat of the car, and i have suffered injuries to both legs, neck, head, left shoulder and my left elbow. The copilot suffered injuries to his collarbone and neck. My injuries are affecting my schoolwork at university. Are we entitled to any compensation? And if we are how do we claim it? I'm not sure of what type of insurance he has, but i know it's mapfre. Thanks in advance!

Spanish:

Buenas, estube en un accidente de tráfico con el novio de mi hermana y un amigo el domingo 31/10/10. Pasó porque él estaba bebido, y se chocó con una farola a unos 80kmph. La policÃ*a nos tomaron los datos a los tres, y le hicieron la prueba de alcoholemia. Estaba 5 veces por encima del limite legal, con 0'80 de alcohol en sangre. Yo estube sentado en el asiento de atrás del coche, y he sufrido daños en mis dos piernas, mi cuello, mi cabeza, mi codo izquierdo y mi hombro izquierdo. El copiloto sufrió daños en el cuello y en la clavÃ*cula. Mis lesiones me estan afectando los estudios en la universidad. Podemos pedir alguna indenización? Y si podemos como lo hacemos? No se que póliza de seguro tiene pero sé que es Mapfre. Muchisimas gracias en adelanto!

lawbird
11-09-2010, 01:13 PM
Dear Sir/Madam,

It is important to note that his policy probably excludes coverage when the driver is under the influence of alcohol. You two should verify this.

If you report a claim against the insurance, it may be that the insurance will cover your damage. However, please note that as soon as they find out that the policy holder was drinking and driving (and they will since the police has probably issued a report after he was brethalized) they will chase him for any amounts the insurance had to cover as a result of the accident (since they werent contractually obliged to).

If the driver has not done so already, he should consult a Criminal lawyer to see if proceedings are being issued against him. You should also attend a public hospital to evidence and evaluate the extent of your damage should you be interested in pursuing this from his insurance in the future. However, it is best that you discuss any future course of action with his Criminal Lawyer first, if you do not wish to affect him more than he already probably is.

Hope everything is resolved as soon as possible,