PDA

View Full Version : Subletting - problems with housemates

Unregistered
09-28-2010, 12:28 PM
Hi,

I have a lease in my name for a 3 bed property and have been subletting the other 2 rooms for 4.5 years. It's always beeen based on a verbal agreement with 1 month's notice either way. The flat is furnished by me.

I've never not returned anyone's deposit and am on good terms with previous housemates.

The landlord knows i sublet but as long as the rent is paid they are fine. Most of my neighbours sublet too.

I've asked 2 of my flatmates to move out with one month's notice based on our verbal agreement which they broke by paying rent late once and being late with bills and havigna huge aprty whilst i was away where my stuff got damaged.

they have asked to stay and I sent them 'nice' emails explaining that it was nothing personal and that i wanted to put people on the lease and that they would not get on the lease based on their salaries and that they hadn't been too reliable. I explained that i had stuck to every word of our verbal agreement and was being fair.

One of tehm, who has been living there for 10 months, asked for a chat. She started off with a nice chat and when she realised i wouldn't be changing my mind, told me a verbal agreement isn't legally binding (i know it is) and also that i'm not the landlord and that they would be staying and not moving. I explained to her that it was really not fair that they behave that way and that i would be losing potentially 3.5 k of deposit and when i'd beeen fair to them and my home of almost 5 years. I ended the conversation saying please make sure you leave on said date (1 month from the notice i gave them).

I've been trying to find out whether they are subtenants, lodgers, excluded occupiers but cannot get hold of an adviser.

Can anyone advise? They pay rent directly to myself and not the main landlord.

Thanks