PDA

View Full Version : Applying for Spanish Citizenship and Working Internatioanlly

Unregistered
09-15-2010, 11:02 AM
I am currently in the process of applying for my Spanish Citizenship but have encountated a few hurdles.

Few details about myself - Moved to Spain 2 years ago with my Spanish wife. I am South African passport holder. Moved from UK to Spain. Currently have Spanish Residence card. Never worked in Spain (would like to but failed to secure any work contracts yet!!). Run UK ltd company from Spain - work offshore as consultant on oil and gas installations but never spend more than 3 weeks out of Spain at one time. Spend at least 6 months a year in Spain.

Really stuggling to gather information on my situation.

Question 1 - Under my current residence status in Spain am I able to legally continue to carry out my current employment outwith of Spanish boarders? and would this have any negative effects on my application for Spanish Citizenship?

Question 2 - Residency am I officially classed as a spanish resident despite my time out the country?

Question 3 - On my application for Spanish Nationality should I declare my UK ltd company status under the employment section? or is this going to come back to bite me

Any information would be much appriated - Thanking you in advance
Michel

Patricia
09-15-2010, 03:53 PM
Hello Michel,

In response to your queries:

1. Yes, there is no problem. However, as a resident and as being obliged to file your annual income tax, you should have appointed a fiscal representative in Spain that deals with your UK company fiscal obligations. ( yourself ). What I mean by this, is that your company should be linked with the Spanish employment and tax system otherwise you are not supposed to be carrying our any activity in Spain and cannot prove your sources of income here.
2. If you do not stay out of the country for more than 6 months in a year, you are not losing your residency status.
3. One of the documents required for the application of citizenship in Spain are related to those that prove your source of income in Spain and therefore you would need to have the UK company documentation in good order according to the Spanish tax system.

As you are married to a Spanish citizen, you can apply for Spanish citizenship after one year of marriage.

Best Regards,