One of the major problems landlords face post credit crunch is the increasing number of non-paying tenants. Many landlords rely on this source of income to offset partially or wholly the mortgage repayments of the property that is being leased being forced to have them legally evicted (http://www NULL.marbella-lawyers NULL.com/articles/showArticle/spain-tenant-not-paying-rent-spanish-property).
In my article on “Landlord: Keys to Successful Rental Income (http://www NULL.marbella-lawyers NULL.com/articles/showArticle/income-lease-rental-insurance-spain)” I pointed out that one of the best ways to avoid non-paying tenants was to take pre-emptive measures such as screening candidates carefully weeding out those with unsuitable profiles.
There is now a helpful website available that lists non-paying tenants nationwide: Fichero de Inquilinos Morosos (http://www NULL.fimiberica NULL.com/) (FIM). For a reasonable fee of only 9,95€ you will be able to search –in English- if your prospective tenant has actually defaulted previously on a Tenancy Agreement. As pointed out in my article, there are professional defaulting tenants that roam the country in search of their next victim, preying preferably on trustful non-residents. In hard times such as these, many struggling landlords cannot endure the hardship of a financial leach that eagerly exploits Tenancy laws shortcomings.
This website’s database is continuously updated with the input provided by both eviction rulings as well as by other users’ feedback. You can additionally include your own non-paying tenants in their list providing you comply and follow the online form’s instructions. Professional non-payers who’ve made a lifestyle out of it will have already been included in the list.
I think it is a useful tool that compliments nicely other tools such as rental insurance, rental bank guarantees, adding an arbitrage clause and screening out your prospective tenants. This gizmo can be used only for those candidates who’ve made it to the top of your screening list. You might as well spend a few dozen Euros now rather than having to fork out thousands at a later date. Better safe than sorry.
- Non-Paying Tenants? No Longer an Issue – 23rd October 2009
- Comunidad de Propietarios: Avoid Problems with Your Neighbours in Spain (http://www NULL.marbella-lawyers NULL.com/articles/showArticle/spanish-comunidad-de-propietarios) – 26th June 2009
- New Express Eviction Law: Much Ado About Nothing -13th July 2009
- Paying the Rent Late Twice will be Cause of Eviction – 4th June 2009
- Spanish Express Eviction Law Pre-Approved (http://belegal NULL.com/blog-by-antonio-flores/spanish-express-eviction-law-pre-approved/) – 24th December 2008
- Landlords Afraid of Non-Paying Tenants Take Pre-emptive Measures -16th September 2008
- Landlord: Keys to Successful Rental Income (http://www NULL.marbella-lawyers NULL.com/articles/showArticle/income-lease-rental-insurance-spain) – 31st January 2008
- How to Evict Non-Paying Tenants (http://www NULL.marbella-lawyers NULL.com/articles/showArticle/spain-tenant-not-paying-rent-spanish-property) – 17th December 2007