Search:     Go  
The Spanish Lawyer Online
The Spanish Lawyer Online
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fortuna Estates, Fortuna Land, Oanna Group.

Default Fortuna Estates, Fortuna Land, Oanna Group.

Over the last month we have received multiple queries on Fortuna Estates, Fortuna Land and Oanna Group.

We are investigating the possibility of initiating legal proceedings in a group action against these companies and/or their administrators as well as some ex-employees for fraud.

If you have invested funds in the said companies which peddled land banking investment schemes in Spain you will be interested to know we are now in the process of gathering information against them for which we require your kind cooperation.

Should you be interested in taking legal action against the said companies please contact us.

Article in Spanish on the scam which also mentions European Mediation. Please read the thread on European Mediation.

Please read our blog post on Fortuna Land Investment.
    Last edited by Lawbird Lawyer; 12-10-2008 at 01:27 PM.

Hello Lawbird,

You may already have all the relevant information, but if not it may be worth having a look at some of the many comments from people involved:
    http://www.fool.co.uk/news/investing...-to-avoid.aspx

Quite a lot of interesting information & names etc

Administrator

Hi Suzanne!

Thanks for the info. Antonio has written about this on http://www.marbella-lawyers.com/word...e-fortuna-land. The lawyers will have to check all the documentation we receive before they can establish if the purchasers have a case or not. Whether we like it or not, this is the way justice works (sadly enough, perhaps not always favouring the victims...).

An interesting and very useful blog post from OverseasCafe.com.

http://overseascafe.blogspot.com/200...aud-squad.html

An interesting article on Fortuna Land from The Sunday Times which mentions European Mediation Limited (EML) as well.

Unregistered

Default Fortuna

Today I was cold called by Martin Haines from I think he said C&S properties in Florida who wanted to know if we were interested in a group action case if they could get enough people interested. Is this another scam like EM who called about 6 weeks ago?
    Judith

Dear Sir/Madam,

I have no idea who he is, I've never heard from either him or his company.

In any case the denuncia against Fortuna has to be filed in Fuengirola, Málaga, Spain. So a local Spanish lawyer needs to be hired providing you want to be duly represented in the ongoing criminal procedure (optional but very advisable).

I have no idea what a company from Florida, USA, may be offering you, specially if it's a cold call. C&S Properties sounds more like an Estate Agency, no?

Regarding people who phone you out of the blue offering you refunds on time-share or legal action I would be very weary as there are numerous scammers posing as Spanish lawyers and Spanish law firms which are offering litigation services or lottery draws when they are not even lawyers. All they want is money upfront and then they disappear without a trace.

E.g.

http://www.marbella-lawyers.com/foru...read.php?t=117

http://www.marbella-lawyers.com/foru...hread.php?t=97

I refer you to our useful blog post:

http://www.marbella-lawyers.com/word...fer-is-a-scam/

9 Tips on How to Determine if an Offer is a Scam
    October 17th, 2008 @ 14:10 by admin

We are receiving a dozen queries every day asking about the legitimacy of certain offer, generally received by email or over the phone after a cold call. Unfortunately, we cannot analyze case by case, and therefore will provide a set of useful hints which will help you evaluate the legitimacy of the company or individual yourself.

The list below is provided in no particular order:

1. Is the domain name old enough? By means of a Whois search you can find out when the domain name was registered. If it’s only a few weeks old, be suspicious.

2. Are they using mobiles? – If the phones used as contact numbers are mobile numbers instead of land lines, it’s definitely not a good sign. In Spain, mobile numbers start by +34 6..

3. Have you been contacted out of the blue? – If you where cold called, or received an email from someone you don’t know, ask yourself why these people have your contact details.

4. Are you being requested to pay money upfront? This is the single most worrying point if it comes in conjunction of with one or more of the above.

5. Is the offer too good to be true? If the offer sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

6. Is the company properly registered? – Although it’s something positive if they can provide you with company registration details, you shouldn’t give this point too much importance. Fraudsters have been registering companies for decades with the sole purpose of deceiving (e.g. dozens of companies where incorporated by fraudsters to conduct the infamous Timeshare Resale Scam)

7. Is the address for their offices correct? – Not sure why, fraudsters tend to provide you with fake addresses which don’t really exist. Check any of the online street directories and find out if the address provided is correct.

8. Something strange about their names? Funny names such as “Woley Fernandez” or “Barrister Perez Santos ESQ” are names made up by Nigerians conducting 419 advance fee scams (the terms “Barrister” or “ESQ” don’t exist in Spanish law). Also, fraudsters tend to cite fake organisms such as “The Ministry of Finance” or “The Security Company”.

9. What others are saying – Use search engines to find information about the company. Try putting the company in inverted comas, and add terms like “scam” or “fraud”. The company or individual you mention might have already been reported online as fraudsters by other people.

Needless to say, the above list shouldn’t be taken as definitive, nor the absolute legitimacy o illegitimacy of a company established based on one or more of the above points. You can use it, however, to personally evaluate the risk of the transaction.

My recommendation is that you never pay any moneys upfront if you have been contacted out of the blue. However, if you have to, before doing so always suggest the use of an escrow company (chosen by you) to hold the funds until the product or service has been delivered. If they refuse, I recommend that you back off.

Always remember; have a lawyer analyze the transaction before making any up-front payments.
    Last edited by Lawbird Lawyer; 01-09-2009 at 03:57 PM.

Unregistered

Angry fortuna land

I too have invested in Fortuna land in 2002. I have had European mediation stating they can recover funds which i beleive they are no longer in business. I have had another company Ramirez & Ramirez stating there are funds available and they can recover some of them, however they will only take payment by transfer and not by credit card which is my form of guarntee.

Obviously you have had no success in attempts to recover investment,like myself.I can't understand why most people are afraid to admit their "foolishness" for fear of embarrisment. i have been contacted by Eur.Med, R&R. I cant get Irish investors to pool together in a common cause to chase these people who scammed them.

Default Chris Redford

Radharc

A gentleman called Chris Redford is trying to get together a support group in Ireland. His email is chrisredford at aol.com

Hope this helps