Search:     Go  
The Spanish Lawyer Online
The Spanish Lawyer Online

Thread: NIE with power of attorney

Unregistered

Default NIE with power of attorney

Hi, does anyone still know if it's possible to get a NIE without applying in person i.e. by giving your lawyer power of attorney and notarised copies of your passport? I read here that it wasn't:

http://www.roundtownnews.co.uk/index...0622&Itemid=48

Also when researching the topic of NIEs I read that you could get one from the Tax Office and that this was easier than the Police Station. Why doesn't everyone go to the Tax Office in this case?

Thanks in advance for any current information.

James

Dear Sir,

The information is inexact. Not all Police Stations admit filing for a NIE number using a PoA.

But you can still do it. In fact, we apply for NIE numbers everyday on behalf of our clients using a Power of Attorney. You can read further on this legal service at our NIE Number website. This NIE Number webiste boasts it's own blog with all the legal novelties that crop up on the matter of NIE's.

The reason people still apply for NIE numbers using POA is that not everyone can afford to take holiday leaves for two trips: both on applying for one and on picking it up two weeks after. Not everyone wants to spend hundreds of pounds booking flights nor making hotel resevations. Not to mention making queues before a Spanish Police Station in the wee hours of the morning (7.00 am) to fill in Spanish forms.

We can request and obtain a NIE number in just under 2 weeks on behalf of our clients. This legal service saves our clients a great deal of time, hassle and hundreds of pounds. Imagine the case of a US or UK citizen having to come twice to Spain for the sole purpose of requesting a NIE number to buy property!

Yours faithfully,
    Raymundo LarraĆ*n Nesbitt
    Last edited by Lawbird Lawyer; 10-14-2009 at 09:27 AM.

Unregistered

Thanks for clearing it up. I thought it seemed unlikely that a PoA wasn't OK any more.

You're welcome.