Search:     Go  
The Spanish Lawyer Online
The Spanish Lawyer Online

Thread: Reclaiming Spanish Citizenship...?

Default Reclaiming Spanish Citizenship...?

Hi well my query is regarding my sister. She was born in Spain, her father is Spanish but she lived abroad with my mother and myself for most her life. She recently applied for her spanish passport and was given it (but was later told it was by mistake) because she has indeed lost her citizenship.

Now she would like to reclaim her spanish citizenship, what must she do?

Her youngest daughter is Stateless and unable to get a passport from neither Spain or the current country she is residing in which makes it difficult if she has to return to Spain to reinstate her citizenship.

Do you have any advice on how she can proceed from here...I am afraid the Spanish consulate in the country she is residing (Trinidad) is not helping her.

Thanks in advance

Hi LPT,

If your father is a Spaniard of origin then your sister had the right to hold a Spanish passport without having had to previoulsy reside in Spain. Is this the case?

In order to answer your question accurately it is essential to find out why she lost her citizenship. Did she hold another nationality? Did she renounce her Spanish citizenship?
    Last edited by Marta; 06-25-2009 at 08:48 PM.
    Marta Flores
    Legal Assistant at Lawbird
    Check My Profile