Search:     Go  
The Spanish Lawyer Online
The Spanish Lawyer Online

Thread: Residency Renewal for Child Born in Spain

Hybrid View

Default Residency Renewal for Child Born in Spain

My child was born in Barcelona in 2016. After he was born he received the same residency (non-lucrative) as his mother already had. At the time, we scheduled an appointment for “solicitud de autorizaciones” at the Extranjeria and his residency was approved in two days. We then went for the “toma de huellas” appointment and he received his residency card one month later.

We are now ready to renew the residency and we are a bit confused. My wife’s renewal for non-lucrative residency was approved last week. We used the online MERCURIO system. Does my child apply for a renewal of a non-lucrative residency or does he apply for “reagupacion familiar”?

The extranjeria website "“Autorización de residencia del hijo de residente legal nacido en España” appears to say he needs to do reagrupacion familiar. At the end of the page it says, "Para las renovaciones de las autorizaciones se seguirán los trámites y el procedimiento establecido para las autorizaciones de residencia de los familiares reagrupados (ver hoja informativa correspondiente)."

Which process do we follow – reagrupacion familiar or renovacion de residencia no lucrativa? Do we make another appointment (cita previa) for “solicitud de autorizaciones” or can we complete the process online?

Hello Saado

She needs to apply for an appointment for the renewal of reagrupacion familiar. It requires the personal appearance of your child´s mother, who holds the main permit.

Regards,
    Patricia Martin
    Immigration Consultant at Lawbird | Contact Me
    Check My Profile

Thank you.

To apply for reagrupación familiar in Barcelona, it appears that I need to provide "documentación acreditativa de disponer de vivienda adecuada."

As I understand it, I apply for this document at the ayuntamiento. Do you know if in practice they conduct an actual home visit or do they do they only do a home visit in some cases? I don't have much time to get the document and I am briefly out of Spain. If they do a personal visit in every case, then I would have to be present, correct?

Hello Saado,

The Town hall officer or police offer in charge always visits the property, and if you are unable to be there during the visit, you can have someone open the door for them but this person must have a formal authorization from you to represent you in that specific matter.

Regards,
    Patricia Martin
    Immigration Consultant at Lawbird | Contact Me
    Check My Profile