My child was born in Barcelona in 2016. After he was born he received the same residency (non-lucrative) as his mother already had. At the time, we scheduled an appointment for “solicitud de autorizaciones” at the Extranjeria and his residency was approved in two days. We then went for the “toma de huellas” appointment and he received his residency card one month later.

We are now ready to renew the residency and we are a bit confused. My wife’s renewal for non-lucrative residency was approved last week. We used the online MERCURIO system. Does my child apply for a renewal of a non-lucrative residency or does he apply for “reagupacion familiar”?

The extranjeria website "“Autorización de residencia del hijo de residente legal nacido en España” appears to say he needs to do reagrupacion familiar. At the end of the page it says, "Para las renovaciones de las autorizaciones se seguirán los trámites y el procedimiento establecido para las autorizaciones de residencia de los familiares reagrupados (ver hoja informativa correspondiente)."

Which process do we follow – reagrupacion familiar or renovacion de residencia no lucrativa? Do we make another appointment (cita previa) for “solicitud de autorizaciones” or can we complete the process online?