Search:     Go  
The Spanish Lawyer Online
The Spanish Lawyer Online

Thread: NIE/student card expire for more than three months. What can I do?

Hybrid View

Default NIE/student card expire for more than three months. What can I do?

Hi Patricia,

I let my NIE/student card expire for more than three months. What can I do?

I came to study at a business school in 2014/2015. I got a NIE and student card. I later got interested and applied for a new research master's degree at a university for 2015/2017 (2-year part time due to cost).

When I tried to renew my expired student card following my admission into the university, I was told to present additional documents some of which were not readily available. I also had to renew my passport. Our embassy in Madrid took longer than I'd expected to get it done. I later got caught up in other activities including my school and writing projects (I write to make some income) and I couldn't present the documents after some time (more than six months after the card's expiry). When I contacted the office for a renewal in February, they wrote:

Es que no tiene usted ningún permiso que pueda renovar. Su tarjeta caducó en noviembre de 2015 y no es posible renovar permisos de estancia por estudios si han transcurrido más de 90 dÃ*as desde la fecha de caducidad.

Atte,
    Inofoext.

Truthfully, I didn't know about the 90 days grace.

Is there anything I could do now to get a new student card? I need to go see my family and return to complete writing and defend my master's thesis in July.

Your prompt response would be highly appreciated.

BO

Hello BO

As your previous card expired and the time to apply for the extension has also expired, you will have to go back to your country and apply for a new student visa via the Spanish embassy.

Regards,
    Patricia Martin
    Immigration Consultant at Lawbird | Contact Me
    Check My Profile