Search:     Go  
The Spanish Lawyer Online
The Spanish Lawyer Online

Thread: Spanish nationality if mother was Spanish, I was born before 1978

Default Spanish nationality if mother was Spanish, I was born before 1978

Hello,
    I would like to obtain my Spanish nationality. I was born in America in the 60s to a Spanish mother and American father. Some things I've read say I should be entitled to nationality by origin, but other things say I am not because I was born before the 1978 constitution. I'm also confused if my mother lost her Spanish nationality when she married my father. They are long since divorced and my mother is Spanish now. I do not recall her ever being an American with documents or anything like that.

Does anyone here know if I would be able to get my Spanish nationality and if so what the process would be?

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Wseg View Post
    Hello,
    I would like to obtain my Spanish nationality. I was born in America in the 60s to a Spanish mother and American father. Some things I've read say I should be entitled to nationality by origin, but other things say I am not because I was born before the 1978 constitution. I'm also confused if my mother lost her Spanish nationality when she married my father. They are long since divorced and my mother is Spanish now. I do not recall her ever being an American with documents or anything like that.

Does anyone here know if I would be able to get my Spanish nationality and if so what the process would be?

Thank you!

Good question Wseg, did you find the answer?

Hello Wseg, Parks

I understand from your message that your mother was able to remain a Spanish National, and therefore, as the son of a Spanish citizen by origins who was born in Spain, you have the right to apply for the Spanish citizenship by Option.

You need to file the application at the Civil Registry of the town where you live in Spain, or at the Spanish embassy, if you live abroad.

Please read this useful information from the Los Angeles Spanish consular office in the US, where you can find Information on the procedure and documentation required : http://www.exteriores.gob.es/Consula...alidad-es.aspx

Regards,
    Patricia Martin
    Immigration Consultant at Lawbird | Contact Me
    Check My Profile