Search:     Go  
The Spanish Lawyer Online
The Spanish Lawyer Online

Thread: US Marriage Recognized in Spain? Requirements in getting residency

Default US Marriage Recognized in Spain? Requirements in getting residency

Hi.
    Me and my girlfriend are planning to get married in Vegas on March next year.
    She is an EU national and is a Spanish resident.
    I'm an American currently living in Spain with a student visa.
    My questions are:
    1. If we get married in the US will our marriage be recognized in Spain?
    2. What will be the procedures and requirements to have our marriage registered?
    My student visa will expire in May and we are planning to wed in March.
    3. Will I be able to apply for Spanish residency through my future wife?
    4. In registering our marriage certificate do we need to go through an interview process with a judge here in Spain?

Looking forward to any reply.
    Thanks.

Hello Spain Love,

Please read my replies to your questions:

1. If we get married in the US will our marriage be recognized in Spain?

Yes, the Spanish authorities will request a valid marriage certificate from the US, correctly legalized with the Hague Apostille and translated into Spanish by an officially recognized translator ( Traductor Jurado). This type of certificate has a maximum validity of 3 months for the Immigration Office, so you have to be sure about time scales when preparing the documentation for your residence card application.

2. What will be the procedures and requirements to have our marriage registered?

As none of you are Spanish citizens and the marriage takes place out of Spain, it cannot be registered at a Spanish Registry. Nevertheless, you can register it at your partnerĀ“s consulate in Spain and ask for a letter whereby the confirm they recognize it to be a valid marriage.

My student visa will expire in May and we are planning to wed in March.
    3. Will I be able to apply for Spanish residency through my future wife?

Yes, as the relative of an EU citizen that resides in Spain. You can read the information about the procedure here.
    This Card allows you to reside and work in Spain during 5 years and after that you will be eligible for a Long Stay residence card.

4. In registering our marriage certificate do we need to go through an interview process with a judge here in Spain?

That would be the case in the event you wanted to marry in Spain. The judge would have to authorize a marriage application.
    Patricia Martin
    Immigration Consultant at Lawbird | Contact Me
    Check My Profile

Thank you so much for your reply Patricia.
    Another follow up question though, do we need to register the marriage through her consulate or the marriage certificate with the translation and Apostille (and other requirements) is enough to apply for the residency?

Hello Spain Love

There is no need to register the marriage at her consulate unless the regulations in her country considers it an obligation. Nevertheless, the Immigration Office will also request a certificate issued by the consular office of her country in Spain whereby they confirm they consider your marriage to be valid.

Regards,
    Patricia Martin
    Immigration Consultant at Lawbird | Contact Me
    Check My Profile