Search:     Go  
The Spanish Lawyer Online
The Spanish Lawyer Online

Thread: Leaving Spain before Citizenship is approved

Default Leaving Spain before Citizenship is approved

Hi, I am a student in Spain married to a Spanish citizen for 5 months. I will get my graduate degree in 7 months and both I and my husband are planning to look for a job in another country (Netherlands or UK). We are currently living together and I am planning to apply for citizenship once it has been 12 months since our marriage. Can we move out of Spain while my citizenship is in the process? I heard it can take over a year to get approval. Thanks a lot!

Hello Woof 8

You can move to another country as long as you completed one year residence status in Spain as the spouse of a Spanish citizen when you file the application, but I recommend you to keep and renew your Empadronamiento and keep a Spanish address for notifications, as you are totally right: Spanish Nationality applications are still taking a long time to be approved.

Regards,
    Patricia Martin
    Immigration Consultant at Lawbird | Contact Me
    Check My Profile

Patricia, thank you for taking the time to reply, this is very helpful!

Unregistered

Patricia, are you sure this is correct? I've heard of people who've been denied nationality for "falta de integracion" for having left for more than 6 months after submitting their application.

Hello,

Yes, that is absolutely possible. The officers take a decision after checking documentation and based on the interview. They can interpret you are not fully integrated and reject an application. Each circumstance is different.

Regards,
    Patricia Martin
    Immigration Consultant at Lawbird | Contact Me
    Check My Profile