Search:     Go  
The Spanish Lawyer Online
The Spanish Lawyer Online
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Studying Law in Spain (in Spanish)

Unregistered

Default Studying Law in Spain (in Spanish)

hello,

Ok, basically I have a degree in Politics from the University of Glasgow, Scotland. I am considering studying Law and thinking about doing it in Spain as I love the country.

I studied Spanish in university as well and I am (more or less) fluent. I studied in Barcelona for a year doing Erasmus so I hope I would be able to get on ok again.

How long would a law degree in Spain take?

How much would it cost at a public university?

Are there any opportunities to do a fast-track graduate course?

Finally, perhaps the most important question. Would it be easier to do my degree in Scotland and then qualify in Spain later on?

gracias!!

Dear Sir/Madam,

Further to your query, I address the points you raise:-

How long would a law degree in Spain take?

The Law degree used to be 5 years although with the new reforms it has been reduced in many universities to a 4 years degree.

How much would it cost at a public university?

In a public university you will only have to pay the matrÃ*cula, the rest is free. The matrÃ*cula can be several hundred euros.

Are there any opportunities to do a fast-track graduate course?

Not that I am aware of.

Finally, perhaps the most important question. Would it be easier to do my degree in Scotland and then qualify in Spain later on?

The UK follows the case law system, in Spain we follow the continental system. They are both very different systems. A law degree is Glasgow will leave you ill prepared -to put it mildly- to act as a lawyer in Spain.

UK solicitors acting in Spain, unless they have a Spanish Law degree, only have very limited market nieches to work in. It's much easier for a German lawyer for example to understand and practise fully Spanish law than a UK solicitor because of the difference in systems.

Unregistered

ok, thanks a lot for getting back to me!

I am new to Law in general and so did not realise there was such as a difference.

However, I am considering moving to Spain in any case.

Thank you,

Peter

You're welcome Peter.

I wish you good luck.

Regards,

Unregistered

Default Foreign law degree - qualifying in Spain?

Hello,

I hold a law degree from Canada (continental European law i.e., civilian system).
    I would like to know how to get accredited in Spain in order to qualify there to become a 'Spanish' lawyer.

Would anyone know which administrative body I have to contact?
    What are the chances of my foreign degree being recognised there?

Thank you.

Foreign Lawyer

Dear colleague,

The best thing would be for you to contact one of the Spanish Bar Associations (Colegio de Abogados) which will explain in detail the necessary steps that you must take to homologate your degree in Law.

It would be advisable you contact the Bar Association of the province you wish to work in.

Regards,
    Last edited by Lawbird Lawyer; 02-09-2009 at 03:49 PM.

Unregistered

Default common-law & civil law qualified lawyer becoming qualified to practice in Spain

Hola,

Please can you tell me the steps in order for a dual qualified barrister (UK common-law and another non-European mixed civil jurisdiction) to become qualified to work as a lawyer in Spain? Is there a particular European route?

What if your Spanish language skills are elementary?

How much does qualifying cost; How long does it take and what is the best/quickest method?

Is Law School in Madrid obligatory? Is there a Law School in Barcelona?

Muchas Gracias

Dear colleague,

Please can you tell me the steps in order for a dual qualified barrister (UK common-law and another non-European mixed civil jurisdiction) to become qualified to work as a lawyer in Spain? Is there a particular European route?

Once you've decided in which part of Spain you want to settle and work in you must contact the local Bar Association to have your law degree homologated. You will not have to pass any exams.

It takes on average 12 months. After that you will be able to join your local Bar Association as become a practising solicitor.

That will be a major setback as you can imagine all laws are passed in Spanish and very few are actually available in English language.

But don't let this deter you, there are many practising UK barristers working in Spain beside all the dually qualified lawyers allowed to practise both in the UK and in Spain.

How much does qualifying cost; How long does it take and what is the best/quickest method?

It takes on average 12 months. As explained above, you should contact the Bar association where you plan to settle and work in. Spain is a diverse country compromised of 17 autonomous regions and each of them have thier own rules besides the common laws.

No it isn't but it will be in a few years time. All lawyers will be requires to pass an exam to become practising lawyers. A Law school (Escuela de Práctica JurÃ*dica) which compements the five year law degree is advisable albeit not mandatory.

Muchas Gracias

¡De nada!

Unregistered

Smile Moving to Spain

Thank you. This is the most helpful forum I've seen so far on this subject. How can I contact a local Bar Association in Spain. Cant seem to find anything on the net. Any help would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawbird Lawyer View Post
    Dear colleague,

Once you've decided in which part of Spain you want to settle and work in you must contact the local Bar Association to have your law degree homologated. You will not have to pass any exams.

It takes on average 12 months. After that you will be able to join your local Bar Association as become a practising solicitor.

That will be a major setback as you can imagine all laws are passed in Spanish and very few are actually available in English language.

But don't let this deter you, there are many practising UK barristers working in Spain beside all the dually qualified lawyers allowed to practise both in the UK and in Spain.

It takes on average 12 months. As explained above, you should contact the Bar association where you plan to settle and work in. Spain is a diverse country compromised of 17 autonomous regions and each of them have thier own rules besides the common laws.

No it isn't but it will be in a few years time. All lawyers will be requires to pass an exam to become practising lawyers. A Law school (Escuela de Práctica JurÃ*dica) which compements the five year law degree is advisable albeit not mandatory.

Muchas Gracias

¡De nada!

Thank you for your kind words.

Which of the 83 regional Bar Associations existing in Spain do you want the contact details for? Please specify and I'll reply giving their contact details.

I guess it's the local Bar Association in which you plan to settle in Spain.
    Last edited by Lawbird Lawyer; 06-21-2010 at 09:35 AM.