Search:     Go  
The Spanish Lawyer Online
The Spanish Lawyer Online
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Pregnant Non resident in Spain, what to do?

  1. #1

    Default Pregnant Non resident in Spain, what to do?

    Hello there, I'm a scandinavian that has been in Spain for just over a year and a half now and I have not been able to find legal work so I have been on my 3month N.I.E for all this time. I understand I am not eligible for a SIP or health insurance in Spain, I do not have private insurance but I do have a valid EHIC but I have never had to use it.

    Yesterday I found out I am pregnant, probably 4-5 weeks. Is it at all possible for me to get access to maternity check ups here in Spain or obtain a SIP? My partner has a spanish residency. We live together but my name is not on the lease, I do pay the utility bills but they are in our landlords name.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I am at loss of what to do, thank you!

  2. #2


    Hello Evath

    I recommend you to register as a resident. If you do not have a job, you can prove you and your partner have sufficient income for both of you, though this may require your register as Law Partners if you are not married. If your partner is a resident in Spain and works as well ( self-employed or salaried ), he will have Pubic Health cover and be able to include you and the baby in it.

    Anyhow, I recommend you to visit the Health Centre and make an inquiry because they are, based on the Spanish Constitution regarding basic rights of Immigrants, in the obligation to offer care to pregnant women and children, even if they do not have a residence permit at that moment.

    Patricia Martin
    Legal Assistant at Lawbird
    Check My Profile

+ Reply to Thread


Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts