Search:     Go  
The Spanish Lawyer Online
The Spanish Lawyer Online

Thread: Legal Advice needed urgently for Father of drowned lad?

Default Legal Advice needed urgently for Father of drowned lad?

Not sure if anyone can offer any advice? A friend's son sadly drowned whilst on holiday in Spain about 6 weeks ago. He and his wife are divorced and the Mother has custody of the children in Southern Ireland.
    The Mother and other members of the family were on holiday in Spain and as soon as the father heard of the tragedy he borrowed money to fly immediately to Spain.
    He spent 3 or 4 days at the hospital. Sadly when his son died he was told he then had to leave Spain as he had no money and nowhere to live.
    He has had nothing but battles ever since? Is there anyone who can help him please?
    The Spanish Authorities say he has to go over there to stand before a judge to prove he is the child's father? he has no money to do that? we are hopefully setting up a Justgiving page to help him out.
    He has been told he cannot have a copy of the death certificate? post mortem report? nothing? he is not allowed to be involved in any way with the Police investigation etc.
    He is totally devastated and grieving for his lost boy and just doesnt know which way to turn.
    Thanks for any advice I can pass on to him.
    Last edited by Moray; 09-25-2016 at 12:27 AM.

Hello Moray,

First of all my sincere condolences for the loss of your friend´s son. One of the most difficult things to bear in this world is the death of a child.

I hope you can raise enough funds to help your friend.

We recommend him to obtain a birth certificate of his child and legalize it with the Hague Apostille, and also prepare a Power of Attorney so a lawyer can appear at the courts in his behalf as he cannot travel to Spain. If you are unable to raise enough funds and he can´t afford the services of a lawyer, he can apply for free legal assistance. This will require some work from his side and jumping on various bureaucracy hoops, but he can´t be stopped from exercising his rights to follow the court case for his son´s death, request the death certificate, autopsy, etc

Regards,
    Patricia Martin
    Immigration Consultant at Lawbird | Contact Me
    Check My Profile

Thank you Patricia for your kind comments and recommendations on here, atleast some people wish to help me! However, I stand to be corrected? I have read the requirements for legal aid in Spain, and from what I have read, it stipulates that my monthly income must be less that than the minimum wage per month in Spain amounting to 513.00 euro's, for which I earn more, but have no savings, drive a 17 year old car and share a house with one room of my own shared with 3 other men. So im stuffed more or less? Ive written to the judge in Spain both in Spainish and English, copied everyone in, and hopefully I may get to stand infront of this judge and say ''im Craigys daddy, I have a legal right to these documents, and I have a legal right to be kept fully informed about the investigation of my sons untimely death, and also I wish to help your honor with my input''.......im hearbroken over our sons death, and I promised my son on his death bed on 22/08/16 at 5pm ''ill find out what happened to you son, until I die''......thank you kindly lady for your help anyway...Best Wishes David Stephen Williams