Hi,
Thanks for this blog. I hope you can help me with this inquiry. We arrived and stayed to reside legally in Barcelona a few months ago. I am pregnant, I am Peruvian (by birth) and US citizen (by marriage), and my husband is only a US citizen. Could our baby (to be) acquire Spanish citizenship, either for being born of a Peruvian mother, or later under the "1 year residence" requirement? In the hypothetical case he could get the Spanish citizenship under either of those two options, could he loose it or would it be revoked if at a later time (say when he is 1 year and half or so) I go to the US Consulate in BCN and register him as US Citizen too? I know that US wouldn't make us renounce to his already acquired Spanish citizenship (in case he qualified for it by then) in order to allow us to register him as US Citizen, just concerned of the effects that doing so would have on his (hopefully) Spanish nationality.
Also, what would be the requirements for us as parents to claim his Spanish nationality under the "1 year residency" law if that was our only option? I am obviously not working and my husband works for a US based company and travels to work in Africa for extended periods at the time, neither of us has a job based in Spain, our income comes from abroad if that info matters. Thank you.