Search:     Go  
The Spanish Lawyer Online
The Spanish Lawyer Online

Thread: Questions for acquiring Puerto Rican citizenship and then Spanish citizenship

Question Questions for acquiring Puerto Rican citizenship and then Spanish citizenship

Lots of great info on this forum. I am a US citizen with no family connection to Puerto Rico. Next year, I will be going to PR for work. After 1 year in PR, Americans are entitled to apply for Puerto Rican citizenship.

My question is, after I receive Puerto Rican citizenship would I be eligible to utilize Spain's two year residence to citizenship option?
    Specifically, does Spain recognize naturalized citizens of former colonies, or only citizens by birth (in my case, is becoming a Puerto Rican citizen enough, or do you have to be born Puerto Rican)?

Code:
    Para la concesión de la nacionalidad por residencia se requiere que ésta haya durado diez años. Serán suficientes cinco años para los que hayan obtenido la condición de refugiado y dos años cuando se trate de nacionales de origen de paÃ*ses iberoamericanos, Andorra, Filipinas, Guinea Ecuatorial o Portugal o de sefardÃ*es.
    I'm not clear exactly what
    Code:
    nacionales de origen
    means in this context.

Thanks for clearing it up. I'd love to know if this is even possible before I spend 3+ years trying to acquire Spanish citizenship.

Hello Refritos

Nacionales de origen means Nationals by Origin; that is, that you are naturally born of that Nationality.

I understand you would not be meeting that criteria, as you are a natural born US citizen.

Regards,
    Patricia Martin
    Immigration Consultant at Lawbird | Contact Me
    Check My Profile

Hi,
    I have three grandparents who were born in Puerto Rico. I am US citizen and have lived here my entire life as have my parents. I wanted to see if I am somehow eligible to apply and receive Puerto Rican citizenship and/or Spanish citizenship.

Please advise