Search:     Go  
The Spanish Lawyer Online
The Spanish Lawyer Online

Thread: Now we live above a sawmill

Default Now we live above a sawmill

We bought a first floor apartment in a 6 apt block 7 years ago above a very quiet digital signing company. In the past 3 years they have morphed into a sawmill/paint spraying type of company. They store paints/resins/vinyls/plastics and timber. They do spray painting which involves the men wearing protective clothing plus gloves and goggles. The smells are everywhere in our apartment, and is very unpleasant.
    They also have timber cutting machines...drilling machines...planing machines, which all start up early morning each day.
    This is making our life a misery. We cannot believe it can be permitted in the modern day health and safety laws.
    2 years ago there was a fire below us which was hushed up. We asked our community administrator for answers but none were forthcoming.
    How can resins/paints/vinyls etc be allowed below residential property?...or can it?
    What is our legal situation in this scenario?

Hello,

The business that is below your block of apartments must have a valid opening license in place for them to be able to operate. However, even if they have all the paperwork in place, it may not be meeting all the established requirements.

If you believe that your health is at risk, you can report them for unsafe and unhealthy activity. This should be reported at the Local Police Station and they will ask for the documentation and make the necessary checks afterwards.

Also, you can ( and should ) report them, in writing, at the Town Hall, indicating the exact commercial unit, location and type of problem, as well as the date the unhealthy activities started.

I hope this answer has been helpful.

Best regards,
    Patricia Martin
    Immigration Consultant at Lawbird | Contact Me
    Check My Profile