Search:     Go  
The Spanish Lawyer Online
The Spanish Lawyer Online

Thread: Spanish Passport for Children

Unregistered

Post Spanish Passport for Children

Hi Belegal,

I have got Spanish Passport and want to apply for my children under 18. Do I have to show my Employment contract, etc. when I file an application for them ?

Details: My kids are 8 years old and are living in Spain for a long time. As now i am Spanish citizen, I can also apply for their nationality. The thing is, that the Registro Civil has given me the appointment to submit for my children nationality application in 2016, which is evidently ridiculous. At the same time, I am getting a very good job offer in London. If I move out to London before I file an application for their nationality, Would it effect their application status?
    Would my employment prospect, (e.g. If I move out from Spain now) would effect their nationality application later on etc.? Any good recommendation to handle this?

Secondly, When can my wife apply for the Spanish nationality? Does my nationality give her any benefit? At the moment, she has the larga Duracion card.
    My older son who is 23 years Old, Can he get any benefit from me as being the EU citizen now? When can he apply for the Spanish nationality?

Thank you.
    Radeeh

Hello Radeeh,

I am bit confused by your enquiry, because the Spanish nationality application of the main applicant normally includes that of the under-aged children, so I would have expected that you had applied for your children´s nationality when you applied for yours, at the same time. You mention you have been appointed for the year 2016 to apply for your children´s Spanish nationality. Is it out of Spain? Because you can normally go at any time to the Civil Registry to file the application, and the appointments are set for interviews and for other documentation requests, not to just file the application. Maybe there is a big delay in the province where you have applied.

If you move to London this should not have any effect because you are still a Spanish national that can grant citizenship to your children. The main problem would be that you changed address and you could not receive notifications from the civil registry, so my recommendation is that even if you move to the UK for some time, you still remain empadronado and keep a Spanish address so you can be notified at all times ( and obviously arrange for someone to check your post on a regular basis, or forward you the post somehow ).

Regarding your wife and your son:

• As your son is over 21, he cannot apply. He needs to complete 10 years of legal residence and then apply for citizenship. You can read more information here.

• Your wife: She will be able to apply but it requires some time, as you first need to register the marriage in a Spanish Civil registry ( this can take up to year ) and right after that she needs to apply for a residence card as the relative of an EU citizen ( she is eligible after proving she is married to a Spanish National). After having held this type of residence car for one year she will be able to file the Spanish nationality application by residency, that is reduced to one year for spouses of Spanish citizens.

I hope this information has been useful.

Best Regards,
    Patricia Martin
    Immigration Consultant at Lawbird | Contact Me
    Check My Profile