Search:     Go  
The Spanish Lawyer Online
The Spanish Lawyer Online

Thread: Still trying to figure out the health system, for US citizen

Unregistered

Default Still trying to figure out the health system, for US citizen

Several basic questions about the health system, from US citizen point of view:

1- US citizen retired in Spain can't get a SIP card; only for workers or Spanish citizens or EU citizens. Have to have paid into an EU SS system to get SIP card. Right ?

2- If a US citizen retiree in Spain, with private medical insurance, may I go to ONLY private providers/doctors, or do the national facilities (hospitals, clinics, etc) also accept private insurance ?

3- A US citizen non-worker could choose to pay into social security (E250/month ?) so that they get NHS health coverage and care ? Is this true, and what is the amount of the payment ?

Thanks.

http://www.billdietrich.me/MovingToSpain.html

Default Still trying to figure out the health system, for US citizen

Hello!

1. This is correct.
    2. Those holding a private medical insurance will only be able to attend the hospitals / doctors which are authorised by the insurance company. The national health service hospitals are not included in this coverage.
    3. This is correct but he would first need to be the holder of a work and residence permit. In this case, his partner and children under 18 would also benefit from this.

I hope this information was useful.
    Marta Flores
    Legal Assistant at Lawbird
    Check My Profile