Search:     Go  
The Spanish Lawyer Online
The Spanish Lawyer Online

Thread: Puerto Rico and the "two year club"

PhDeviate

Default Puerto Rico and the "two year club"

Saludos

I was born in NYC, but my father was born in Puerto Rico. His grandmother may have been born in Spain, but the records are non-existent as far as I can tell. All we have are the early American census records that date from 1910, and those are really unreliable (the 1910 and 1920 censuses of my family, for example, give conflicting information about the same people.) In order to verify my great-grandparents' birthplace, I would have to access the Spanish colonial archives and I'm not sure where they are housed. Either way, this is somewhat tangential to my question.

My question is how is Puerto Rican "citizenship" determined in terms of the two year rule? The government of Puerto Rico will give a "CERTIFICADO DE CIUDADANÍA DE PUERTO RICO" in my circumstance ("Persona no nacida en Puerto Rico que tenga la ciudadanía de los Estados Unidos de América y sea hijo(a) de por lo menos un (1) progenitor nacido en Puerto Rico."). Would this be necessary or helpful for being in the 2 year club? Or would the basic facts of my situation be enough?

Thank you!

Reference: http://www.pr.gov/Attachments/pdf/02...que%C3%B1a.pdf

Hello again, PhDeviate,

I believe you can easily get the certificate from Puerto Rico Whereby you are recognized as a citizen there, based on the fact that your father was born in that Latin American Country.

As soon as you are a recognized Puerto Rican citizen, you will be able to join the " two year Club", as you call it, in terms of eligibility for the Spanish Nationality by Residency in Spain.

Regards,
    Patricia Martin
    Immigration Consultant at Lawbird | Contact Me
    Check My Profile

PhDeviate

Thank you!