Search:     Go  
The Spanish Lawyer Online
The Spanish Lawyer Online

Thread: US citizen with questions about non-lucrative visa to Spain

Unregistered

Default US citizen with questions about non-lucrative visa to Spain

I have put some questions and information on a web page: http://www.billdietrich.me/MovingToSpain.html

I can't seem to find an agency (in New Jersey USA would be best) to help me through the application process.
    I've contacted several, and they all say something like "we can't help you, consulate doesn't allow third-party representation".
    I know I have to go in person to consulate a couple of times, I just want them to handle translations, coordination of documents,
    finding a doctor, handling FBI check, etc. I've told them so. Still no go.

Maybe I'm looking for the wrong thing ? I searched online for "visa agency"; do I need an immigration lawyer, or some other category ?

Thanks.

Hello,

I believe you are seeking legal assistance from a firm in the US to help you through all the dealings to be done in the US before you file the Non Lucrative Residence permit application at the Spanish Consular office.

I am afraid that I do not have any information regarding specific offices in the US that could offer such services. Here in Spain, any Law firm can make enquiries and find out information for our clients who are in need of documentation form consular offices, however, for whatever dealing that has to be actually done and processed, the personal appearance of the interested party is required, so I think it might happen something similar in the US.

At Lawbird, we assist our clients explaining in detail the documentation they need from their home countries and we can guide them in some cases indicating what is the exact body that needs to be approached. Nevertheless, when it comes to Police clearance and medical certificates, we are unable to offer exact information as we are unfamiliar with the administration organization in the USA; it is something the applicant can normally deal with personally at the Department of Estate Office.

Regarding translations, an office is not required; your Spanish Lawyer may be able to arrange the translations from their end, or at least guide you on how to go about it from the US: Translations made out of Spain must be apostilled or attested by the Spanish consulate for them to be valid in Spain.

Please let me know if you have questions about the Non Lucrative residence permit application, as I have noticed you have various concerns about its nature and the parallelism with the retirement visa, that does not really exist in Spain. This is a term merely used to give another name to the Non Lucrative residence permit as the requirements and legal basis are the same.

Regards,
    Patricia Martin
    Immigration Consultant at Lawbird | Contact Me
    Check My Profile

PhDeviate

Dear Patricia,

Isn't this documentation that the retirement visa really exists?

http://www.exteriores.gob.es/Consula...rementVisa.pdf

The requirements differ, though only slightly from the non-lucrative:

http://www.exteriores.gob.es/Consula...nLucrative.pdf

#6 is phrased differently, though the basic result is the same "retirement income" vs. "periodic income" and the #7 requirement "Proof of other sources of income or properties in Spain if applicable, with a certified translation into Spanish." doesn't seem to exist in the non-lucrative.

My partner and I are considering which visa is better for us, but you make it sound here as if there is no decision to be made.

Can you clarify? Thank you very much. This site is very helpful.

Hello PhDeviate,

I understand that the Spanish consulate is dividing the Non Lucrative residence permit type into two subtypes, internally to offer some aid to the different profiles that can be eligible and meet the financial criteria of that type of residence permit in Spain, but the retirement visa as such, is not specified in the Spanish Immigration Law. Consular offices have ample discretional right to grant those visas and can obviously explain the requirements by different means and customized information sheets. I believe it is just a way to offer a simple and easy access to that visa for US nationals. Even if the explanation of the financial requirements slightly differ from that of the ordinary Non Lucrative Residence permit, the basis is the same, as well as the application form.

Regards,
    Patricia Martin
    Immigration Consultant at Lawbird | Contact Me
    Check My Profile