Search:     Go  
The Spanish Lawyer Online
The Spanish Lawyer Online

Thread: spanish citizenship

Unregistered

Default spanish citizenship

hi there is no way that u get the citizenship without living in spain. my wife is spanish citizen and we got married last year and are registered in spansih consulate and have the certificate and family book. i got my visa for spain for 6 mnths which will expire in july this year. i haven't been there and will be going next year to apply for my residence card. is there is any way that we can show them that marriage is 1 year old and can apply for citizenship without living there as we both are living and working in UK only.

or

we just go their and register my self in spanish municipal office and come back to UK and after an year can i apply for citizenship. as my in-laws have their house and i can register myself on that address or anything like that.

or

as my wife and i live in uk and work here, can we ask spain consulate to provide me with necessary documents to stay in uk as an citizen of spain as obsly she works here and how i can stay in spain to complete my 1 year stay in spain without her.

Hello,

For a non EU individual that is married to a Spanish citizen and has resided in Span for one year, it is possible to apply for the Spanish Nationality. If you do not reside in Spain and are not a Spanish resident, you are not eligible.

Registering at a Spanish address does not suffice to prove residency; you need to apply for the corresponding residence card as the relative of an EU citizen for that end. It is a very easy process and you will be given a residence card valid for 5 years that will allow you live and work in Spain for 5 years, as well as freedom to travel within the Shengen area. After having held the residency status during one year you will be in a position to apply for the Spanish Nationality.

If you need to legalize your status in the UK as the relative of a Spanish citizen, I recommend you to check with the British Immigration authorities, who will let you know what is the right path and the required documentation you need from the Spanish citizen.

If you need to get further information on the Spanish residence card application, please feel free to send us an email.

Regards,
    Patricia Martin
    Immigration Consultant at Lawbird | Contact Me
    Check My Profile

Unregistered

Hi Patricia

thanks for the info. i completely understand about the residence card, but as i said that i was not able to go this year and my visa for spain will expire in july. hope fully i will be going end of this year or next year, but i need to get my visa again for that too (if i am not wrong).

secondally as you said about the resident card, once i apply for my resident card in future, will the government will consider my 1 year of residency from the date i get my residence card or from the date we got registered in spanish consulate.

example:

if i get my residence card in 2015, would i be able to apply for my citizenship in 2016?
    can i apply for my residence card from uk??

and once i get my residence card, is it necessary for me to be in spain for a period of 1 year or i can work whereever i want, like UK or Germany?

Quote Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
    Hello,

For a non EU individual that is married to a Spanish citizen and has resided in Span for one year, it is possible to apply for the Spanish Nationality. If you do not reside in Spain and are not a Spanish resident, you are not eligible.

Registering at a Spanish address does not suffice to prove residency; you need to apply for the corresponding residence card as the relative of an EU citizen for that end. It is a very easy process and you will be given a residence card valid for 5 years that will allow you live and work in Spain for 5 years, as well as freedom to travel within the Shengen area. After having held the residency status during one year you will be in a position to apply for the Spanish Nationality.

If you need to legalize your status in the UK as the relative of a Spanish citizen, I recommend you to check with the British Immigration authorities, who will let you know what is the right path and the required documentation you need from the Spanish citizen.

If you need to get further information on the Spanish residence card application, please feel free to send us an email.

Regards,

Hello,

The residency period will cover the year starting the validity of your card; that is, if the card is valid from January 2015, expiring January 2020, you will be able to apply for the Spanish nationality in January 2016. You do not have to register at the Spanish consulate for that; I believe the registration at the consulate is required for other ends, but it is not connected to a residence status in Spain.

The residence card as the relative of an EU citizen is applied for at the Immigration office of the province where you are settling in Spain with your wife. You cannot file the application at the embassy.

Regarding living in Spain, for you to keep a residency status you need to spend at least 185 days per year in Spain, but this does not mean you do not need a work permit to live in another EU country. You are allowed to be 90 days every 180 days in another country. The UK is not a Schengen estate so different immigration rules apply.

Regards,
    Patricia Martin
    Check My Profile

Unregistered

Hi Patricia

Thanks for clearing my doubts. As is said that my visa will expire in July 2014 and i haven't got a chance to go to Spain, will it be easy to get my visa back again as I am married to spanish citizen. Can I apply it from UK or need to apply from my home country?

As you said that I need to spend atleast 185 days in Spain, which I think is practically not possible, but whereas if once I get my Resident Card, do I need to spend those 185 days all together or can do it in in intervals?

Hello,

If your question is related to an ordinary visa, you can certainly apply for a new one if you are still married to the Spanish citizen, as relatives of EU citizens have no issues to be granted a short stay visa. If you have a resident status in the UK, you can apply via the Spanish Embassy in London.

Regarding the 185 days minimum stay per year in Spain, they can be in intervals.

Regards,
    Patricia Martin
    Check My Profile

Hi. I am a Canadian citizen but my father is a Spanish Citizen and so is my grandfather.
    My dad passed away in 2011 and I would like to find out how we would go about applying for citizenship for my 2 brothers still living in the Philippines. They are both Filipino citizens. We have kept my dad's original passport and NSO birth certficate and my brothers also have their own NSO birth certificates. As he holds a spanish passport, does that mean my brothers are automatically illigible to apply for dual citizenship? Or do they really need to live in Spain for a year to get citizenship?
    My first cousins have all managed to get their Spanish passports through my uncle, my dad's brother who is also a Spanish Citizen and in saying so, my brother would like to apply for citizenship as well. What can you advise us?
    Thank you very much.