Search:     Go  
The Spanish Lawyer Online
The Spanish Lawyer Online

Thread: Getting residence card (NIE?) for a new born (non-EU parents, with legal residence)

Default Getting residence card (NIE?) for a new born (non-EU parents, with legal residence)

We are non-EU citizens, legally residing in Spain for the last 5 years. A few weeks ago we got a baby, born in Barcelona, who now has birth certificate issued in Registro Civil. He also has Libro de familia, a social security number, public and private medical insurance, and empadronamiento too. My question now is whether he would need to apply for a residence card to be legally residing in Spain? My understanding is that in order to apply for Spanish nationality the newborn would need to be legally residing in Spain for one year, so I wonder how do you prove that the kid has been a legal resident. Does he need to be registered with Spanish authorities? Which? How?

I tried googling for this information but could not get the right answer. I would appreciate any feedback on this matter. Thanks, Rade

yes ,your son needs to apply for residence card which after a year of issue, you can now apply for his nationality cos was also in your situation with my boy born in 2012 but due to an error in his name in the libro de familia , i was unable to apply for his residence until now after successsful change of name in the libro de familia.Now he has a residence card now which after a year i will apply for his nationality.

Thank you flakky. I looked at this and you are right, the kid needs to get 'Autorización de residencia del hijo de residente legal nacido en España'. The rule is that the kid can get the authorization of the same type (larga duracion, residencia temporal, etc) that his/her parents have; for more details google 'Autorización de residencia del hijo de residente legal nacido en España'