Search:     Go  
The Spanish Lawyer Online
The Spanish Lawyer Online

Thread: Spanish residency visa renewal

Default Spanish residency visa renewal

Hello,
    We just obtained our Spanish residency visas (myself, my wife and I). I have two questions;
    1- our son's (7 years old) card expires end of May which is different than ours (in Aug) is there a reason for giving him a different date than hours when all were applied for on the same date and his passport is valid for 5 years remaining.
    2- when we renew, after the one year validity, what would be the requirement? Do we have to proof that we have been living/visiting Spain for a specific duration? Because in our case, we only spend between 2 to 3 months a year in Spain, would that be an issue when renewing ?

Hello Faisal,

Normally, when a family unit applies at the same time, they cards will have the same validity. You mention you and your wife just got the residence visas, nut you do not mention your son until a bit later on in your question, that you say his visa expires before yours. This is not usual, so we would need to check the documentation that was filed and make an enquiry at the corresponding Immigration office. It seems that for some reason, the date your sonĀ“s application was filed is different to yours and that must have led to being given different validity dates. It may have happened if for instance the Spanish consular office sent the files separately. The only way to find it out is by making an enquiry at the Immigration office.

For you to be able to renew your residence permits, you will basically have to prove you still meet the requirements; schooling, dwelling and very important: financial requirements.

All initial residence permits require a minimum stay in Spain of 185 days to be able to renew the permit, as it is the fact that proves actual residency takes place. Therefore, the reply to your question is yes; you need to spend at least 6 months a year in Spain to keep your right to residency.

Regards,
    Patricia Martin
    Immigration Consultant at Lawbird | Contact Me
    Check My Profile

Thank you Patricia,
    Indeed I meant to say (my wife, my son and I) have obtained the residency status. And yes you are right, all the papers wee filed the same day.. But given that the requirement is to remain in Spain for a minimum of 6 months, that might be difficult for us. What do we do then, still apply for a renewal and get refused or just let it expire and return back to Spain on a normal tourist visa like before?

Hello Faisal,

That is a very personal choice.

You need to bear in mind that if you are unable to comply with the residency requirements, you have high chances of refusal.

Regards,
    Patricia Martin
    Immigration Consultant at Lawbird | Contact Me
    Check My Profile