Search:     Go  
The Spanish Lawyer Online
The Spanish Lawyer Online

Thread: Affluent American Filipino Seeking Spanish Citizenship

Default Affluent American Filipina Desires Spanish Citizenship

I am a Filipino born in the Philippines but naturalized as an American citizen. My American husband and I are affluent to the point where we don't need to work and live off of passive investments. I am interested in pursuing Spanish citizenship and would like some help laying the groundwork.

1. I believe I have to live in Spain for at least 50% of 2 calendar years. So 6 months + 1 day in 2014 and 6 months + 1 day in 2015 should work?

2. I don't have relatives I am acquainted with in Spain. I don't plan on getting a job while I am there. I don't have experience running a business. Could I get a tourist visa to cover the 12 months, 2 days that I would need to be in Spain? Is there some other type of residence visa that is more appropriate?

3. Once I achieve the 2 years residency and submit my paperwork, do I need to remain in Spain while the Spanish government processes the application? How often will I be called back (for interviews, followups, additional paperwork, etc.)?

4. Should I hire an American immigration attorney or a Spanish one? Will I need a Spanish immigration attorney to get me through the citizenship filing process? What should I look for regarding qualifications of an immigration attorney?

Thanks in advance for considering all my questions!!
    Last edited by San Diego; 08-10-2013 at 11:55 PM.

I'm wondering if there are any Spanish attorneys in Madrid that might specialize in working with Americans who have a colonial genealogy. Ideally someone could help me navigate through the Spanish bureaucracy. Any recommendations would be great.

Unregistered

Hi

There is now an investor visa. You can buy a house for 500k euro's (or a number of them totaling 500k). you could use this with the saved time (2 year residence requirement) allowed to filipinos

Cheers
    Marc

Thanks Marc. 500,000€ is the equivalent of $690,000. That is equivalent of three rental houses here in San Diego that would generate $3,000/month in net income. Having only vacationed in Spain, I'm ill equip to be making investment decisions there from California. Hopefully after I've lived there a few years, I might be comfortable investing. Now though, I wouldn't know heads from tails. If I can simply get a non-lucrative visa, stay 2 years and then apply for citizenship, I really wouldn't have a need to apply for an investor visa, would I?

San Diego
    Did you ever follow upon the non-lucrative visa? I am thinking of applying for one and am uncertain as to the likelihood of getting approved.