Search:     Go  
The Spanish Lawyer Online
The Spanish Lawyer Online

Thread: Registration of foreign registered vehicle - where to start??

Default Registration of foreign registered vehicle - where to start??

Hi everybody

I need a few answers as I am running out of time .
    My car is registered in Czech republic, I own it for 1 year (since the registration took place in CZ). I brought that car here few months ago and those 6 months (when a foreign registered car can be used here legally) is passin away too quickly - so to be legal, I will have to register it on spanish plates...
    but - I was lookin at some companies who do it etc but neither is located in Gran canaria (where we live) and yet, they are so expensive that I think I will rather do it myself and save some money for insurance...
    so - what is the first step I have to do? I just obtained the NIE btw.
    which bureau or office should I visit first? then - the ITV - I know few stations where it is done, so it just about me goin there - but I dont know where to start...

also - regarding the insurance - WHEN should I apply for some company (once all the registration is done?)
    - anybody have some suggestions which company here is the cheapest (just for third party - to be legal here)?? (there s too many of them and quoting all of them in spanish language (which I dont speak) is kinda annoying...

lookin forward to anyones reply on where to start and some points ....

Thank you

regards

Hello Evelyn,

If you cannot find a specialized gestoria in Gran Canaria, I recommend you to contact the Direccion General de Trafico directly so they let you know what are the required documents and application forms you have to file. It wolud be of help to bring a relative or friends who spoke Spanish as they will probably not have English speakers at the Traffic Headquarters.

Once you have a clear idea of the required documents, you will just have to file the application and wait for the Spanish car plate. Once this has been registered, you can contact one of the so many Car insurance companies available and formalize the insurance policy.

Regards,
    Patricia Martin
    Immigration Consultant at Lawbird | Contact Me
    Check My Profile