Search:     Go  
The Spanish Lawyer Online
The Spanish Lawyer Online
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Spanish Citizenship or Residance Permit for child born in Spain

Hello RobParikh,

The baby can get the Spanish Nationality as Colombia is not recognizing children born abroad to Colombian citizens, but the US does, so if you register his birth, the authorities may consider the child is an US citizen. Anyway, the Civil registry studies each case in particular and may as well grant the Spanish Nationality. It is worth a try.

Regards,

Patricia
    Patricia Martin
    Immigration Consultant at Lawbird | Contact Me
    Check My Profile

RobParikh

Default Unwed

Quote Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
    Hello RobParikh,

The baby can get the Spanish Nationality as Colombia is not recognizing children born abroad to Colombian citizens, but the US does, so if you register his birth, the authorities may consider the child is an US citizen. Anyway, the Civil registry studies each case in particular and may as well grant the Spanish Nationality. It is worth a try.

Regards,

Patricia
    Hi Patricia,

Thanks so much for your reply. BTW.. we are unwed so I'm not sure if that has an impact on registration. If possible, I would prefer to have the baby acquire Spanish nationality based on his Colombian mother but I would also like to confer him (already know the sex of the baby!) US Citizenship as well by registering him with a local consular office.

Since we are unwed, can she simply claim him as her child so that Spanish nationality can be conferred to him automatically? And then later after this is completed, register his birth under my name and nationality as well?

How long does it take from the point of birth to the point is receiving a Spanish Passport for the baby?

Can we as parents subsequently be entitled to permanent residence in Spain? Subsequently, can my Colombian fiancee then apply on a fast track for Spanish citizenship? If so, how long does that take/

Thanks so much for your assistance.

BTW.. do you assist with all of the above if we need assistance with registrations etc. while in Spain?

Hello Rob

You may proceed how you mention and then see how it goes; as I mentioned, they study each particular case. I recommend to register his birth indicating the names of both his parents from the beginning.

Regarding how ling it takes, I can´t quite a number; it depends in each CR.

Any parent of a Spanish child can apply for a Family settlement residence permit. This procedure does not take long to be processed.

Please feel free to contact us by email to discuss the case further and determine whether we can offer legal assistance.

Regards,
    Patricia Martin
    Check My Profile

Unregistered

Hi Patricia,

After reading so many answers to same questions I still have a doubt. My wife and I are Colombians-canadians I know in that case if a baby is born he will be automatically Canadian and he won’t be given the Spanish citizenship, given this 2 scenerios which will be best.

1. We as a couple will be on a working holiday visa which is granted for only a year, if the baby is born during this time, will the working holiday visas be cancelled or the baby will be able to get legal residency during this time?

2. We as a couple will be irregular living in Spain after having the baby which are the options to optain legal residency and give the baby that year of legal residence so he can apply for Spanish citizenship?

Thanks!

Question Spanish citizenship for child born in Spain recovery

Dear Patricia, and to whom it may concern:

My name is Cris:
    -I was born in Spain
    -I have my Spanish citizenship
    -my parents are not Spanish citizen
    -I have a Spanish ID but not a Spanish passport (my passport, not my ID, was taken from me when I traveled back to my parents country Lebanon, does it mean I lost my Spanish Citizenship?)
    -my age is 25 and I am currently in Lebanon for 24 years
    -I have all the necessary doc where I was born and lived in Spain

Question is can I recover my Spanish citizenship if it is canceled, and do Spanish allow dual citizenship (Spanish and Lebanese) or do I have to discard my Lebanese passport or citizenship?

best regards
    Cris

Hello Cris,

If you have been able to keep your Spanish ID ( and renew it ), there´s no reason why you would be unable to apply for your Spanish passport. We would need to understand that bit of information where you mention the passport was taken from you. You may have lost your citizenship due to the lack of use of it, as you have lived 24 years out of 25 in Lebanon and not used your Spanish citizenship. Therefore, this is a question that has to be made to the Civil Registry so they check their records. There are situations that allow the applicant recover the Spanish nationality but that depends on the cause of the loss, and as we still don´t have this information, I can´t advise now.

Dual citizenship is not allowed for Lebanese citizens. it is only allowed for nationals from Portugal, Navarra, Philippines, Equatorial Guinea, Latin American countries and basically Spanish former colonies.

If you wish, drop us an email and explain your case in detail so we can advise further.

Regards,
    Patricia Martin
    Check My Profile

Unregistered

Thumbs up

Dear Patricia:

thank you for your concern, information given was useful will be in touch in the near future, thank you immensely and no my ID in not renewed never knew about any of that before I turn 25 hope I am not late.

best regards
    Cris

Dear Patricia, thank you for your time and answering many people questions, my situation its a little bit particular:

I am Venezuelan, and my woman its Chinese, and we are in illegal situation in Spain. She its pregnant. If we have the baby in Spain, what nationality will have the baby?.
    Can the baby be Spanish from birth?, or it will get one of our nationalities directly?.

Thank you very much.

Unregistered

Hello Patricia,

We am planning to take up a Spanish Residence Visa through investment. If we were to have a child in Spain and live there for the better part of the year, I believe the child will be eligible to take up Spanish Nationality. Is that correct?

Once the child does become a Citizen of Spain, how long would it take for the Parents to become Citizens?

Thank you

Hello,

A child born in Spain to foreign parents will be eligible for the Spanish nationality after one year holding a residence permit.

You, as parents, cannot apply for the Spanish nationality based on the fact your child is Spanish, but can apply for the Spanish nationality after ten years holding a residence permit. In the event you are a national from Latin American countries or former Spanish colonies, this ten year period can be reduced.

Please feel free to contact us if you need further information or wish to discuss your particular case.

Regards,
    Patricia Martin
    Check My Profile