Search:     Go  
The Spanish Lawyer Online
The Spanish Lawyer Online

Thread: Threatening Phone Calls from Spain to the UK

Default Threatening Phone Calls from Spain to the UK

Hello All,
    I am posting on behalf of a friend who's Ex Wife is currently residing in Tenerife and who regularly harasses him via telephone calls at all times of the day and night. The content of the calls varies from general verbal abuse to specific threats of violence against his person. He currently has their young child residing with them by order of the family court and is concerned for both his own safety and his child's.

What I need to know is what if any Spanish Law is applicable in this situation?

Many Thanks in advance for any help or advice anyone can offer.

Winch

Hello Winch,

Initially, as the threats are being received in the UK, where your friend resides, Spanish Law does not apply as it is not directly related to this case. In the event he received those threats while in Spain, he could report her to the Spanish police authorities.

We recommend your friend to report the situation to the corresponding authorities, to establish a precedent and obtain the required protection.

Regards,
    Patricia Martin
    Immigration Consultant at Lawbird | Contact Me
    Check My Profile

Hi Patricia,
    many thanks for your advice. Just to clarify are you recommending in your final sentence that he reports the calls to the UK Authorities ( in which case it's already been done) or the Spanish Authorities?

Also is making abusive or threatening calls not an offence under Spanish Law? As the lady in question was already warned by the UK Police about making any further calls but now she has moved to Tenerife where they can no long knock on her door she seems to believe she can carry on with impunity!

Once again thanks for your help so far and any clarification and further information you can offer.

Winch

Quote Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
    Hello Winch,

Initially, as the threats are being received in the UK, where your friend resides, Spanish Law does not apply as it is not directly related to this case. In the event he received those threats while in Spain, he could report her to the Spanish police authorities.

We recommend your friend to report the situation to the corresponding authorities, to establish a precedent and obtain the required protection.

Regards,

Hello Winch,

According to Spanish Law, making abusive or threatening calls are an offence, however, as those are not received in Spain, but in the UK, the competent authorities to take any action are the british ones.

If she is to be punished for those actions, a british Judge is the only legal figure that can do it.

Regards,
    Patricia Martin
    Immigration Consultant at Lawbird | Contact Me
    Check My Profile