Search:     Go  
The Spanish Lawyer Online
The Spanish Lawyer Online

Thread: Must I Give Up My US Citizenship to Be Spanish?

Default Must I Give Up My US Citizenship to Be Spanish?

I am doing the research to pursue Spanish citizenship. I am Filipina but am a naturalized American citizen. If I apply for Spanish (EU) citizenship, do I have to give up my American citizenship? Will either side (US or EU) accept dual citizenship? If I'm supposed to renounce but don't, will either country know? What are the repercussions?

My husband will remain a US citizen and we plan to live together, part time in each country. Hopefully none of this will be a problem.

Since there has been a little interest in this thread, I did some of my own research. I'm hoping those more knowledgeable can add some better information. On the US government's website travel.state.gov, the state department addresses dual citizenship as such:

A person who is automatically granted another citizenship does not risk losing U.S. citizenship. However, a person who acquires a foreign citizenship by applying for it may lose U.S. citizenship. In order to lose U.S. citizenship, the law requires that the person must apply for the foreign citizenship voluntarily, by free choice, and with the intention to give up U.S. citizenship.

So this information is a little less than definitive. If you pursue foreign (Spanish/EU) citizenship, you may lose US citizenship, but one of the conditions appears to be that you possess the intention to give up your US citizenship. So if your goal is dual citizenship and you maintain a part time residence and investments in both countries...dual citizenship seems to be acceptable?