Search:     Go  
The Spanish Lawyer Online
The Spanish Lawyer Online

Thread: Spanish passport through heritage?

Unregistered

Default Spanish passport through heritage?

I was wondering If I am eligible for a Spanish passport, my great grandfather was from Spain. Unfortunately I have no documenation at all. I am from Mexico. I have one good friend in Spain who is studying to be a judge, I was wondering if there was anyway she could help me. Would going to college in Spain for four years qualify me for a residency permit, or Spanish citizenship?

Hello,

The eligibility to apply for Spanish nationality by origin stops at the second generation, that is, you could apply in the event that you had documented proof that your grandfather was Spanish. You mention that you know your great grandfather was Spanish, so in this case, you are not eligible for Spanish nationality by Origins unless you could prove that your grandfather never lost his Spanish nationality as being the son of a Spanish national. In any case, you would have to obtain the necessary documentation to prove your Spanish ancestry.

In response to your last question, the fact that you have studied a university career in Spain does not grant residency or citizenship per se; you need to apply for residency via the ordinary means and then for Spanish nationality by Residency after two years of legal residency as you come from a Latin American country.

Please feel free to contact me if you wish to explain your case in detail so I can offer further advice depending on your particular circumstances. You will find my details by clicking on My profile.

Regards,
    Patricia Martin
    Immigration Consultant at Lawbird | Contact Me
    Check My Profile

Hi Mexican citizen. I am from San Diego and am friends with the daughter of a Mexican physician. She was able to receive a visa after documenting that her family had sufficient monies to support her. Her story was slightly different, as she had the intent to study, but had not been accepted into any university and wanted to to enjoy tourist life while deciding her direction in life. Since you have the ability to study 4 years abroad, I thought maybe you had the financial ability to claim a non-lucrative visa, and after two years, attempt to gain residency. Good luck!