Search:     Go  
The Spanish Lawyer Online
The Spanish Lawyer Online
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Married to a Spanish national outside Spain

Default Married to a Spanish national outside Spain

Hello,

I just got married to a Spanish girl in Dubai (Dubai court) and now I issued her a residence permit under my sponsorship. Please advise what is the procedure now to register our marriage in Spain and to process for me a Spanish residence permit (I don’t want to work in Spain, I just need it so I can travel to Spain whenever I want and to be able to register my future kids in Spain)

I am a Palestinian residing in the UAE.

Regards,

Hello,

Congratulations for your marriage!

To register your marriage in Spain you will need to attend the nearest Spanish 'Registro Civil Consular' to the place where you got married in. The Registro Consular carries out the same functions as the Registro Civil ( civil registry) in Spain. You must contact them previously to set up an appointment but also to ask them the exact documents they will need. Once you attend, they will carry out an interview where you will be asked several questions to ascertain that it is an authentic marriage and not a convenience one. If the interview goes well, you will receive a 'certificado literal de matrimonio' and a 'libro de familia'.

Regarding your residency this can only be requested if your wife moves back to Spain and resides here. Whilst she is residing in UAE this is not possible.
    Marta Flores
    Legal Assistant at Lawbird
    Check My Profile

Hi Marta and n532,

I think I sort of have similar situation.....
    My boyfriend is Spanish and he just accepted a job in UK (we both live in NY) so we are considering getting married to be able to move together to UK (since I am not EU resident, I am on a working visa in USA). Would that be possible since I just found out I would have to live in Spain for at least a year to get a Spanish citizenship and working permit to work and live in EU? I have a Bosnian citizenship.

Please give me any information you think it would be useful.

Thanks a lot,

Ivancica

Unregistered

Hi,

I am a Spanish national who married a non-EU person (from Syria). As soon as you get married, you apply for permanent residency which they give you in the form of a 5 year residency ID. After one year of being married you can apply for a passport/citizenship but the whole process is very slow and you will probably have to wait between 3-5 years like my husband did (he waited 5 in total). You would have to live in Spain for this time and learn Spanish as you will be tested when its time to get your passport.

Good luck!

Unregistered

Default Spanish Citizen Partner

Hi, I would like to ask what are the procedures if my partner wants me to take to Spain. His marriage has not yet annulled. but he wants me to bring to Spain so we can live together.

Unregistered

Default About the waiting period of your Husband.

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Hi,

I am a Spanish national who married a non-EU person (from Syria). As soon as you get married, you apply for permanent residency which they give you in the form of a 5 year residency ID. After one year of being married you can apply for a passport/citizenship but the whole process is very slow and you will probably have to wait between 3-5 years like my husband did (he waited 5 in total). You would have to live in Spain for this time and learn Spanish as you will be tested when its time to get your passport.

Good luck!
    Hello,
    it was really informative about the actual waiting time to get the citizenship of your husband. When we read the law it all seems easy as it says one year marriage and one year residency in Spain. But I just want to ask you a question. I heard that this waiting time to acquire the citizenship (which was 5 years in your husband's case) varies in different provinces in Spain. For example Barcelona or Madrid are the busiest and they need long time time. But other places take much lesser time as they are less crowded. Can you tell anything about this?

Unregistered

hi there is no way that u get the citizenship without living in spain. my wife is spanish citizen and we got married last year and are registered in spansih consulate and have the certificate and family book. i got my visa for spain for 6 mnths which will expire in july this year. i haven't been there and will be going next year to apply for my residence card. is there is any way that we can show them that marriage is 1 year old and can apply for citizenship without living there as we both are living and working in UK only.

or

we just go their and register my self in spanish municipal office and come back to UK and after an year can i apply for citizenship. as my in-laws have their house and i can register myself on that address or anything like that.

Unregistered

Default What to do?

I am a Spanish citizen and I was married to a Filipino 2006 but now we are annulled in the Philippines. The marriage was never registered in the Spanish consulate in Manila. My main concern is we have a son and I would like my son to be a Spanish citizen like me. How can I go about this? I heard I have to register the marriage so that my son can be legitimate. and then what will happen next? I am already annuled with my filipino ex husband...

hi, I want to know what is the maximum time it can take for registration. it is written process can take up-to 1 year i have spent more then 15 and half month but didn't got my registration. I submitted application on 07-07-2015 and lawyer take interview on 15-09-2015. i will wait for your kind reply and will be thankful to you.

Post I am married to spanish and planning to move in spain.

Hi good day i am filipina married to spanish guy in spanish embassy (dubai) my husband wanted me to move in spain. I am hoping if you can help me if what is the possible option for us to apply or what will be my next step so i can go to spain with him.thank you in advance.