Search:     Go  
The Spanish Lawyer Online
The Spanish Lawyer Online

Thread: Spanish Nationality Law modification

Unregistered

Post Spanish Nationality Law modification

Hi All,

As there has been many news circulating these days regarding the Spanish Government plan to modify the Spanish Nationality law to include Nationality test for those who apply for naturalization. Along with that, there has been also some work going on in facilitating the application procedure, making it digital and so on.

My Question is: Does the Government has any plan to further modify the Codigo Civil to reduce the general 10 years residence requirement for nationality applications? (As facilitating the nationality process like many other EU member states)! Any modifications or purposal under consideration regarding this? or at least for Regimen Communitarios etc. ?

Thanks for your time.

Regards,
    Alex

Hello Alex,

I am afraid not. There are no plans to modify the Civil code in those aspects.

Regards,
    Patricia Martin
    Immigration Consultant at Lawbird | Contact Me
    Check My Profile

Unregistered

Post The integration policies of Spanish Government

Dear Patricia,

Thanks for the reply.

May I ask, Why does the Government has such a hypocritical and inconsistent approach and behavior towards immigration/naturalization policies? I mean, Look at the other member states of the EU. Every member state has streamlined its rules for all the residents applying for naturalization. Every immigrant is treated in the same way regardless of his origin and nationality. There is no preferential treatment for anybody and integration is considered as a vital part. However, Spanish Govt. truly discriminate and is racist even in their laws and rules, (e.g Preferential treatments to Latino Americans people for nationality applications - If a Spanish national does not enjoy the preferential treatment in Latin American countries, than how come their citizen enjoy special treatment in Spain!).

IS this the Govt call the equality and integration? Does this really reflect the treaties and conventions Spain has signed with EU? IS this the EU integration and equality principle? On this issue, there are many papers and reports published nationally and internationally. Even the European index MIPEX (Migrant Integration Policy Index) has given Spain a low score in this regard because of the preferential, discriminative and unfair treatment of Spanish Government towards naturalization policies.

This is my personal opinion and does not particularly reflect any institution. But Nevertheless, Rules and Regulations should be equal and same for all those who live in Spain irrespective of their origins and race. The Government should act and adopt EU laws and streamlines its processes as a modern European nation, not like the old Franco's era.

Regards